Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Alten, Jelle Paul (sds-sp)" <je...@ordina.nl> on 2003/04/01 11:24:24 UTC

escaping, still not clear

Hi all,

I searched through the mail archives but can't find the answer to my
escaping problem. The thing is that my original xml file has escaped
characters like &euml; or &#235;
After going through cocoon it arrives as the ascii 137 character (ë) not the
escaped code. This is not valid HTML or XHTML or XML, and what's worse, I
can't run the resulting XML through cocoon again, it will translate "ë" into
"ë".

Puzzled I am.

Any clues? disable-output-escaping doesn't help.

Greetings from Holland,

Jelle

Re: escaping, still not clear

Posted by Sanne de Roever <sa...@newfoundland.nl>.
Hi Jelle,

It's not a complete answer but not all special characters need encoding.
Actually ë is valid UTF8 even I think (137 <<< 255 == 2^8 -1 !!). Make sure
that your encoding tags are properly set in the files (utf8/iso 88 ...).
I've generated a whole book with cocoon last year, with special
characters/graphics and all, no problems! Characters like &#343; with values
over 255 have to be encoded, the rest doesn't necessarily.

Mvrgr.,

Sanne