Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Franz STUMPNER <fr...@stumpner.net> on 2011/03/30 16:29:42 UTC

Files in the Inbox Directory on Server but checking pop3 for new mails results in no new mails

Hello

I'm using James 2.3.0 with storing mails in an inbox directory in filesystem for example under /var/mail/inboxes/franz.stumpner@james.stumpner.net<ma...@james.stumpner.net>.

When I check my mailbox thunderbird tells me that there are no new mails, but when I look into the inbox directory on the (Linux) server I can find some files in the directory named like:

1696C313330313230303139353435382D313739.Repository.FileStreamStore

The content begins with:

From: "Colleen Bellamy" United Parcel Service <wa...@regeneron.com>
To: <po...@anlanger.net>
Subject: United Postal Service Tracking Nr.
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:28:11 +0800

Seems like there is an Mail in my Inbox? But pop3server means there is no mail in the Inbox.
When I now send a new mail to me (from my gmail account) I receive the new email via pop3, but it seems some mails/files keeps in the mail directory an can not be retrieven via pop3? Is this a bug or configuration error?

One More Thing:

Yesterday I got some mails via pop3 wich where sent to me 3 weeks ago??

Thanks for any help or answer!
Franz

Mit besten Grüßen aus Linz,
Franz Stumpner

!!Achtung!! Neue Adresse:
Pulvermühlstrasse 11/1, 4040 Linz

////////////////////////////////////
stumpner.MCS
web & it-dienstleistungen
Pulvermühlstrasse 11/1
4040 Linz
Austria

www.stumpner.at
office@stumpner.net

t: +43 (0)732 / 234492
m: +43 (0)699 / 17 15 7001
f: +43 (0)699 / 47 15 7001

Re: Files in the Inbox Directory on Server but checking pop3 for new mails results in no new mails

Posted by "USHAKOV, Sergey" <s-...@nm.ru>.
Hi Franz,

one of the first things to check may be the settings of your POP3 client.
There is typically an option like "Leave received messages on server". It
might be a good good idea to check this value, disable it (if enabled) and
see what happens...

Regards,
Sergey