Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jay n gaba <ja...@rediffmail.com> on 2002/02/15 19:47:11 UTC

Using JNDIRealm with password digesting and Netscape Directory Structure

Hi
Has anyone solved the following problem regarding the digest password

please give me some hint;

thanks

regards
jay

Hi,

> I'm trying to use tomcat's JNDIRealm with OpenLDAP. I've
converted my
> passwords to digest format in the LDAP directory instead of
plain text.

> Apparently, tomcat only excepts only hex formatted password
where openLDAP
> provides passwords of the format
> {crypt}XXXXX where crypt = { SHA, MD, ... } and XXX is a base64
encoded
> integer.
>
> Is there a way to configure tomcat to accept this format of
passwords? If
> so does this require any recompilation of
> tomcat?

Supporting passwords in this format (with the leading {foo} prefix)
is
high on my TODO list of enhancements for JNDIRealm -- along with
other
improvements -- but it hasn't been done yet.

Re: Using JNDIRealm with password digesting and Netscape Directory Structure

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.
How about bind-style authentication to the directory? Is that on the todo
list? If you implement that, you no longer need to worry about supporting
all the varying password formats.

Jon