Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Alex Mattioli <Al...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/05/11 08:57:23 UTC

RE: VMware VDS Specifics

Hi Mike,

ACS doesn't touch the uplink assignments already created. But you can't really tell it which uplinks to set in a portgroup, so when it creates the Storage portgroup it might not use the desired uplinks, it will be using the default uplinks set on ESX.
You could wait for ACS to create the portgroup, check which uplinks it uses and then change the others accordingly (annoying, I know)

The way I'd carve those 8 NICs would be:

VDS _Management - 2 uplinks, with your management portgroups and management vmk
VDS_Guest - 2 uplinks, for ACS to create guest networks.
VDS_Storage - 2 uplinks, with your NFS vmk and ACS's storage portgroup and your vMotion vmk (which you can then set to use whatever uplinks are not the default, you can check after ACS has created the storage portgroup)

Alternatively you can create a 4th VDS, something like  VDS_OOB - 2 uplinks with the vMotion vmk. (In my case I've used that in production for monitoring and backups, but could be for vMotion as well).

Hope that helps,

Btw, what bandwidth do you have on those links?

Cheers,
Alex

Posted by Alex Mattioli <Al...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Corey,

Correct, you create 3 physical networks.
ACS knows which VDS to use based on the traffic label (as per last email).

Cheers
Alex

So what I've have now are 4 VDS.  When I'm going through the Add Zone wizard, do I create 3 physical networks - one for each traffic type - Guest, Management, Storage?  If so, how do I link the CloudStack physical network to the correct VMware VDS?

"When adding a zone, you need to set up one or more physical networks. Each network corresponds to a NIC on the hypervisor. Each physical network can carry one or more types of traffic, with certain restrictions on how they may be combined. Add or remove one or more traffic types onto each physical network."

RE: VMware VDS Specifics

Posted by "Corey, Mike" <mi...@sap.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Alex,