Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2012/08/16 06:43:56 UTC

CloudStack Driver - Is anyone working on this?

Hi all,

I'm a member of the CloudStack project team, and was wondering if
anyone has begun work on a CloudStack driver for Deltacloud?  David
Lutterkort had replied to a tweet of mine 2 weeks ago, noting that
this was still an area of opportunity for the project.

If someone is working on it, I'd be willing to help.  If not, then I
guess you can consider this me stepping in to offer to build it.

Thanks!

-chip

Re: CloudStack Driver - Is anyone working on this?

Posted by Francesco Vollero <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chip!!

Afaik, there's no one that is working on it, so I think you can start
working on it.
Don't be afraid to start coding it, on irc @ freenode we are always
available to help if needed :)

Cheers,
FV

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.
On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 21:00 -0500, Chip Childers wrote:
> Generally though, does the Deltacloud community usually use public
> clouds to test the drivers?  Or do you typically have test
> environments running the appropriate target CMP?

It's difficult ;) For public clouds, we just do our testing against
them. For private clouds/virt mgmt it's a mix of environments we run
internally at Red Hat and some environments that other people have
internally. The gist of it is: the easier it is to run automated tests
against your driver, the more likely it is we'll run them nightly and as
part of qualifying releases.

David

Re: CloudStack Driver - Is anyone working on this?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 16:18 -0500, Chip Childers wrote:
>> What tools / process would the Deltacloud community like me to use /
>> follow for this work?
>
> We're pretty light on process; we do use Michal's tracker[1] but that's
> by no means required. Just git format-patch and git send-email to this
> list is perfectly fine for patch submissions.
>
> I find incremental patches the best way to go about this - send patches
> as soon as you have something that makes some amount of sense (could be
> as little as a driver that can just list images or HWP's)

Great - I'll do that.

> Also, how will we go about testing this ? Are there public CloudStack
> instances on which we could get accounts ?

There are, but I'll be using the CloudStack community's "DevCloud" VM
image [1] for most of my development activities.  There is a mode to
configure it to run both the CloudStack management server and the Xen
/ kvm host functions all within the same VM image.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/DevCloud

Re: CloudStack Driver - Is anyone working on this?

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.

[1] http://tracker.deltacloud.org/

Re: CloudStack Driver - Is anyone working on this?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
One additional question:

What tools / process would the Deltacloud community like me to use /
follow for this work?  I've forked the repo on github, but wasn't sure
if you used reviewboard or some other mechanism to accept patches.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 15:44 -0500, Chip Childers wrote:
>> First, I believe that the documentation is clear enough about how to
>> add a driver (and there are plenty of good examples).  I'm sure I'll
>> have questions as I go, but I think there's a good starting point.
>
> Besides the mailing list, we are also on #deltacloud in freenode - feel
> free to ask questions there, too.

Thanks.  I'll jump in there as I have questions.

>> Second, in order to make it easier on myself, I just published a
>> cloudstack_ruby_client gem [1] that I'm licensing via ASLv2 (source at
>> [2]).  My plan is to keep that up to date, and actually use the
>> Deltacloud provider development as a way to fully test the client
>> library.  Are there any objections to me including this as a
>> dependency?
>
> That's the pattern we are following with most of our drivers these days:
> all the heavy lifting happens in the client gem, and the driver itself
> is just glue between the client gem and the rest of Deltacloud. So this
> is actually the best way to structure a driver.

Great - Glad I started there then.

> For examples, it's probably best to look at the mock driver since that
> has a pretty clear separation between client and glue code (though the
> client for that lives right next to the driver) and the EC2 driver since
> that is the oldest and most worked-over driver.

The mock driver seems to be the best place for me so far.  I'm using
it as the starting point, and modifying it as I go to switch from the
mocked responses to the cloudstack client calls.

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 15:44 -0500, Chip Childers wrote:
> I'd like to get started working on an Apache CloudStack driver for
> Deltacloud, and have a few questions / comments.

Excellent !

> First, I believe that the documentation is clear enough about how to
> add a driver (and there are plenty of good examples).  I'm sure I'll
> have questions as I go, but I think there's a good starting point.

Besides the mailing list, we are also on #deltacloud in freenode - feel
free to ask questions there, too.

> Second, in order to make it easier on myself, I just published a
> cloudstack_ruby_client gem [1] that I'm licensing via ASLv2 (source at
> [2]).  My plan is to keep that up to date, and actually use the
> Deltacloud provider development as a way to fully test the client
> library.  Are there any objections to me including this as a
> dependency?

That's the pattern we are following with most of our drivers these days:
all the heavy lifting happens in the client gem, and the driver itself
is just glue between the client gem and the rest of Deltacloud. So this
is actually the best way to structure a driver.

For examples, it's probably best to look at the mock driver since that
has a pretty clear separation between client and glue code (though the
client for that lives right next to the driver) and the EC2 driver since
that is the oldest and most worked-over driver.

> Last, I'm wondering if there are any "gotchas" for how to ensure that
> a driver works correctly with the CIMI interface.  Is there a specific
> driver that could serve as the best example of the functions that need
> to be exposed for CIMI to work?  I did a search, but didn't come up
> with anything in the docs that answers that question.  Perhaps I
> missed it?

I don't think there are any CIMI-specific gotchas, though our docs there
are pretty scant. Again, the mock, EC2 and possibly Openstack drivers
are probably the best guides.

David

Re: CloudStack Driver - Is anyone working on this?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi Chip,
>>
>> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 00:43 -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
>>> I'm a member of the CloudStack project team, and was wondering if
>>> anyone has begun work on a CloudStack driver for Deltacloud?  David
>>> Lutterkort had replied to a tweet of mine 2 weeks ago, noting that
>>> this was still an area of opportunity for the project.
>>>
>>> If someone is working on it, I'd be willing to help.  If not, then I
>>> guess you can consider this me stepping in to offer to build it.
>>
>> No, nobody is working on a CloudStack driver; so we'd very gladly accept
>> your offer (and patches ;) I'd love to see a Cloudstack driver. Me and
>> the other core contributers will be more than happy to guide you through
>> that experience.
>>
>> Feel free to ask questions about what the driver is supposed to do (I am
>> sure you'll have many once you start working on the driver) here or on
>> #deltacloud on IRC.
>>
>> David
>
> It will be slow going at first, as my primary focus is on helping to
> get CloudStack to it's first ASF Incubator release.
>
> I think I've got very good example drivers to work off of, and I've
> already started to pull together the skeleton.  I'll certainly reach
> out as I make progress and hit the usual bumps in the road.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -chip

Hi all,

Dragging this old thread (wow, has it really been 5 months already?).

I'd like to get started working on an Apache CloudStack driver for
Deltacloud, and have a few questions / comments.

First, I believe that the documentation is clear enough about how to
add a driver (and there are plenty of good examples).  I'm sure I'll
have questions as I go, but I think there's a good starting point.

Second, in order to make it easier on myself, I just published a
cloudstack_ruby_client gem [1] that I'm licensing via ASLv2 (source at
[2]).  My plan is to keep that up to date, and actually use the
Deltacloud provider development as a way to fully test the client
library.  Are there any objections to me including this as a
dependency?  I do see that other providers make use of external client
libraries, so I'm assuming that this isn't a problem.

[1] https://rubygems.org/gems/cloudstack_ruby_client
[2] https://github.com/chipchilders/cloudstack_ruby_client

Re: CloudStack Driver - Is anyone working on this?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.
Hi Chip,