Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/16 10:13:57 UTC

tapestry5-cayenne

Hi,

after a while I checked the list at
http://groups.google.com/group/tapestry5-cayenne-development again to see if
anything is happening. I am doing a tutorial series on Tapestry 5 at
http://bbwebcraft.blogspot.com and my plan is to include Cayenne 3.0M5 in
the near future.

As a fan of Cayenne, I would like to see tapestry-cayenne module side by
side to tapestry-hibernate module at
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/in the menu on the left side
under Tapestry 5 Modules.

Can I help in any way for this to happen?

Moreover, a 0.2 release of tapestry5-cayenne is neccessary now as Cayenne
3.0M5 and Tapestry 5.0.18 are released. And the documentation on
tapestry5-cayenne needs examples and more explanations.

Any chance for this to happen in a month?

Regards,
Borut

Re: tapestry5-cayenne

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
Hi Borut,
There was actually a small discussion regarding the tapestry5-cayenne
project here a couple months ago, but I can't find it at the moment (I guess
my MarkMail search mojo is lacking).  We have a good intersection with Kevin
Menard being a committer on Cayenne and Tapestry, and Robert Zeigler being a
commiter on Cayenne and the tapestry5-cayenne project.  The bigger issues
would be time to support it plus who has ownership.  (Should Cayenne provide
it?  Tapestry?  Keep it at Google?)  BTW, I'd love to see it listed on the
Tapestry site, too.

OT: I've actually had your blog bookmarked and it looks like nice Tapestry
tutorials.  I've sent the link to several friends interested in Tapestry.

mrg

Re: tapestry5-cayenne

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Robert,

that sounds cool. If you find the time to rewrite the documentation, try to
write it like the reader has none or very little knowledge of Tapestry and
Cayenne. IMO it is essential for a reader to understand the basics first,
like - why can't I just use CayenneFilter in my web.xml? When do I need
DataContext? When do I need to store it in the session? What are the
consequences in storing whole objects in the session? Are there two ways to
achieve the same thing? Maybe one is better then another when application is
in the cluster? What do I put in the session? What happens automatically? Do
I need more than one DataContext? Can I put something in the
service/application scope? Can I get away without using sessions?

I am sure others on this list have also a lot of questions/suggestions.

Sometimes it is hard to grasp some concepts because Tapestry is a framework
with convention over configuration concept and if you throw IoC container in
this mix you can have a recipe for disaster for someone trying to learn
three technologies at the same time with scatered/missing documentation.

The examples should be small, demonstrating one or two features at at time,
maybe something similar to JumpStart for Tapestry. I will be doing a
presentation in my company in two weeks time. I also have lots to learn for
this Tapestry Cayenne combo. The docs would help me immensely!

-Borut

Re: tapestry5-cayenne

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Borut,