Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at> on 2002/06/07 10:30:50 UTC

What to use for the prompt

Hi!

As we all want the site to go live ASAP, we should try to decide what to use
as a root/user prompt, so we can than change all the occurences to the new
form.

Please feel free to add ideas and +/- to each idea...

1) No prompt at all
  + copy and past
  - no difference between user/root
  - copy and past might not work with long lines
  - doesn't look like a prompt

2) only use '%' and something for root ('>' ?)
  + '%' is used in most of the docs
  - '#' looks like a comment and thus cannot be used
  - other sigils than '#' might be confusing

3) "ai" plus % or #
  + looks like a prompt
  - 'ai' might be confusing (use other short hostnames?)

4) 'user%' and 'root#' (or 'user%' and 'root%')
  + looks like a prompt
  - 'user' isn't to clear ('stas' might be too specific ...
     maybe 'you%' ?

5) '%' and 'root#'
  + looks like a prompt
  + '%' is short
  + 'root#' is very explicit and clear.

6) ??

I like 5) best.

I guess everything we'll choose will be confusing for some users (e.g.
windows user might expect 'C:\>' or something)

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |

Re: What to use for the prompt

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.
At 05:18 PM 06/07/02 +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:

I actually remember seeing abbreviated prompts in my past and wondering
what they meant.  If you had to explain (normal user) and (super user) to
us, then think of the people that might be just starting out.

Can we afford two more chars?:

     user%
     root#

This is what I've written in docs before.  But I agree with stas that
showing a prompt is better.

   (type as a normal user)
   ./configure
   make
   make test
   (su to root, if installing in system libraries)
   make install

But that's not very platform independent.

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: What to use for the prompt

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 11:18 07.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> 6) nu% (normal user)
>>    su# (super user)
>>    + looks like a prompt
>>    + short
>>    + good mnemonics, doesn't imply 'root' on machines with no 'root'
>>    + aligned properly
>>    + easily adjustable to other preferences (which is not the case
>>       with other presented choices):
>>      if you prefer to read your docs without prompts, you can simply:
>>
>>       nu% find src -type f -name '*pod' \
>>           -exec perl -pi -e 's/(n|s)u(\%|#)\s//' {} \;
>>       nu% bin/build
>>    we can even make a special bin/build flag that will do that :)
>>
>> I vote 6!
>

> "nu" is confusing, and "su" might also be. Furthermore, the solution
> you're citing to build without prompts can be used for whatever prompt
> (but it's a good idea, can be useful!)

not for %. as it can be %foo, if the space is ommitted and definitely
not for #.

Re: What to use for the prompt

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

per.einar@skynet.be

Re: What to use for the prompt

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As we all want the site to go live ASAP, we should try to decide what to use
> as a root/user prompt, so we can than change all the occurences to the new
> form.
>
> Please feel free to add ideas and +/- to each idea...
>
> 1) No prompt at all
>   + copy and past
>   - no difference between user/root
>   - copy and past might not work with long lines
>   - doesn't look like a prompt
>
> 2) only use '%' and something for root ('>' ?)
>   + '%' is used in most of the docs
>   - '#' looks like a comment and thus cannot be used
>   - other sigils than '#' might be confusing
>
> 3) "ai" plus % or #
>   + looks like a prompt
>   - 'ai' might be confusing (use other short hostnames?)
>
> 4) 'user%' and 'root#' (or 'user%' and 'root%')
>   + looks like a prompt
>   - 'user' isn't to clear ('stas' might be too specific ...
>      maybe 'you%' ?
>
> 5) '%' and 'root#'
>   + looks like a prompt
>   + '%' is short
>   + 'root#' is very explicit and clear.
>

> 6) ??
>
> I like 5) best.
>
> I guess everything we'll choose will be confusing for some users (e.g.
> windows user might expect 'C:\>' or something)

Thanks for this summary Thomas.

here is a corrected entry 5.

5) '%' and 'root#'
   + looks like a prompt
   + '%' is short
   + 'root#' is very explicit and clear.
   - it doesn't mean that you realy have to be root it just means that
     you *may* need some special perms to do something. or not.
   - it breaks the alignment. consider:

     % perl Makefile...
     % make
     root# make install
     % make test

and here is 6:

Re: What to use for the prompt

Posted by allan juul <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
Quoting Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>:

> Hi!
>
> As we all want the site to go live ASAP, we should try to decide what to
> use
> as a root/user prompt, so we can than change all the occurences to the new
> form.
>
> Please feel free to add ideas and +/- to each idea...
>
> 1) No prompt at all
>   + copy and past
>   - no difference between user/root
>   - copy and past might not work with long lines
>   - doesn't look like a prompt
>
> 2) only use '%' and something for root ('>' ?)
>   + '%' is used in most of the docs
>   - '#' looks like a comment and thus cannot be used
>   - other sigils than '#' might be confusing
>
> 3) "ai" plus % or #
>   + looks like a prompt
>   - 'ai' might be confusing (use other short hostnames?)
>
> 4) 'user%' and 'root#' (or 'user%' and 'root%')
>   + looks like a prompt
>   - 'user' isn't to clear ('stas' might be too specific ...
>      maybe 'you%' ?
>
> 5) '%' and 'root#'
>   + looks like a prompt
>   + '%' is short
>   + 'root#' is very explicit and clear.
>

> 6) ??
>
> I like 5) best.

+1 [option 5]

RE: What to use for the prompt

Posted by "Jonathan M. Hollin" <ne...@digital-word.com>.
5) '%' and 'root#'
  + looks like a prompt
  + '%' is short
  + 'root#' is very explicit and clear.

+1 - looks like a win to me.

Jonathan M. Hollin
WYPUG (http://wypug.pm.org/)

Re: What to use for the prompt

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 10:30 07.06.2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>Hi!
>
>As we all want the site to go live ASAP, we should try to decide what to use
>as a root/user prompt, so we can than change all the occurences to the new
>form.

Thanks for trying to get this solved Thomas.

>I like 5) best.

+1 for number 5.

>I guess everything we'll choose will be confusing for some users (e.g.
>windows user might expect 'C:\>' or something)

Doesn't matter. Windows users need to learn a lot about Unix before using
mod_perl anyway, so they'll have to adapt. Hey, I wouldn't want the docs to
say C:\>, and I use windows!

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be