Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Pitre, Russell" <RP...@shawmut.com> on 2007/10/12 15:19:32 UTC

Second webapp lib folder

Sun Java 1.5

Tomcat 5.5.17

I have a requirement to integrate Java Crystal Reporting engine into our
intranet app.  There are 69 .jar files for the Crystal reporting engine!
Count them, 69 .jar files.  I'm really hesitant to drop all of these
.jar files into the /WEB-INF/lib folder and forget about it.  I'd like
to isolate these jar files from the rest of the other jar files I have
in the webapp.

Is it possible to configure the tomcat classloaders to look at second
lib folder such as /WEB-INF/lib2?

Thanks

Russ

RE: Second webapp lib folder

Posted by "Pitre, Russell" <RP...@shawmut.com>.
"I think what you could do is rename all the Jars to say
Crystal_OriginalName.jar and then you can at least ID them"

That would be an easy solution!

Thanks
Russ

I have a requirement to integrate Java Crystal Reporting engine into our
intranet app.  There are 69 .jar files for the Crystal reporting engine!
Count them, 69 .jar files.  I'm really hesitant to drop all of these
.jar files into the /WEB-INF/lib folder and forget about it.  I'd like
to isolate these jar files from the rest of the other jar files I have
in the webapp.

Is it possible to configure the tomcat classloaders to look at second
lib folder such as /WEB-INF/lib2?

=======================
Interesting question but I think more trouble than its worth....
>From Dev environment to compiled WAR... I think netbeans will override
your
plans, anyway ;)

Also is a false sense of separation... even if in a different folder
(assuming TC would actually look down further under /webapp/libs) its
still
the same classloader so if there was a conflict, it would still be there

regardless of where physically stored.

I think what you could do is rename all the Jars to say
Crystal_OriginalName.jar and then you can at least ID them... but
physical
separation on disk means nothing at classloader level, so it would
actually
do nothing.

Other alternative is to get the source, and create a single lib Jar of
Crystal...
My feeling not worth the effort.... ;)
=========================

Thanks

Russ

Re: Second webapp lib folder

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.

Re: Second webapp lib folder

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
Russ,

1. I think that configuring "/WEB-INF/lib2" is not possible. The spec
has no provision for it.

2. You may place all these jars into shared jars folder in tomcat configuration,
and exclude them from your war.

In tomcat 5.5.x, the place is ${catalina.base}/shared/lib/

See
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html

3. If you really need it, the location of the /shared/lib folder can
be configured.
E.g. it can be split into several ones, like ${catalina.base}/common/
is split into
several folders.

You do this by modifying classloaders configuration in
"catalina.properties" file.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Second webapp lib folder