Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Uri Shachar <us...@hotmail.com> on 2012/01/03 10:50:26 UTC

Transaction specific debugging mechanism

Hi,

      When attempting to troubleshoot issues on a production ATS system, it is often impossible/difficult to turn on any of the 'high-volume' debug tags like http due to the performance impact.

I have a 'transaction specific debugging' implementation in an old pre-opensource TrafficServer that I'd like to port to the ATS - It allows a plugin to set a debug flag for a specific txn/ssn, and replaces some of the Debug calls with a new function that checks if the flag is turned on, and outputs the debug line regardless of the tag if it is (The diags enable/disable flag is still taken into account).
The API will also have TSDebugSpecific(TSHttpTxn txnp, ...) in order to allow plugins to use the same functionality.

Thoughts?

         --Uri

Re: Transaction specific debugging mechanism

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

>       When attempting to troubleshoot issues on a production ATS
>       system, it is often impossible/difficult to turn on any of the
>       'high-volume' debug tags like http due to the performance
>       impact.
>
> I have a 'transaction specific debugging' implementation in an old
> pre-opensource TrafficServer that I'd like to port to the ATS - It
> allows a plugin to set a debug flag for a specific txn/ssn, and
> replaces some of the Debug calls with a new function that checks if
> the flag is turned on, and outputs the debug line regardless of the
> tag if it is (The diags enable/disable flag is still taken into
> account).
> The API will also have TSDebugSpecific(TSHttpTxn txnp, ...) in order
> to allow plugins to use the same functionality.
>
> Thoughts?

As always, PATCHES welcome, but I like to say this explicitly.

This one in particular sounds awfully useful, so please, by all
means, open a jira and attach a patch so we can see the code!

>          --Uri

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org