Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/03 11:57:08 UTC

Tuscany Geronimo integration and the SCA JEE spec

I'd like to start spending more time actively working on the Tuscany
Geronimo integration and having that more support the SCA JEE specification
(see: [1]). Here is a rough outline of what i'd like to do:

The goal of this would be to use Geronimo and Tuscany to create an
SCA-enabled Java EE runtime, which from the SCA JEE specification means "a
Java EE runtime that supports deployment and execution of SCA-enhanced Java
EE applications as well as SCA-enhanced Java EE modules."

We already have a start of that with the old Tuscany Geronimo Plugin [2] and
there's another wiki page thats started to be used to capture some
requirements at [3]. Currently the old TGP has got out of date and doesn't
work with any current releases of Geronimo or Tuscany so the first thing to
do is to get a basic plugin going again and then gradually add functionality
to it so it does things like:
- adds all Tuscany jars and their dependencys into Geronimo
- supports existing Tuscany webapps without needing to include any Tuscany
jars or dependencys in the lib directory
- supports simple jar contributions into a Tuscany standalone node
- supports Tuscany using Geronimo infrastructure for things such as HTTP and
JMS hosts
- supports for SCA enabled JEE application local assembly
- supports SCA wiring across JEE applications and modules

Thats a high level and incomplete list, it is in a rough order of when
things get done and some of the items may not be needed in the log term but
are just stepping stones to the later items. There's been lots of off list
discussion about this so i'd like to try to move that all to the mailing
lists from now so everyone can participate and can see whats going on. I'd
like to try to break the work down into several milestones with actual
releases that we can ask users in both Tuscany and Geronimo to try out as we
go along to get feedback and also to try to promote some interest around SCA
in JEE.

   ...ant

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/29127/sca-jee-1[1].1-spec-wd03.doc
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/TUSCANYWIKI/tuscany-geronimo-integration.html
[3]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Java+EE+Integration

Re: Tuscany Geronimo integration and the SCA JEE spec

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:02 PM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there an overview of how the existing TGP works, preferably
> comprehensible from a geronimo-centric viewpoint?
> On Oct 3, 2008, at 2:57 AM, ant elder wrote:
>
> I'd like to start spending more time actively working on the Tuscany
> Geronimo integration and having that more support the SCA JEE specification
> (see: [1]). Here is a rough outline of what i'd like to do:
>
> The goal of this would be to use Geronimo and Tuscany to create an
> SCA-enabled Java EE runtime, which from the SCA JEE specification means "a
> Java EE runtime that supports deployment and execution of SCA-enhanced Java
> EE applications as well as SCA-enhanced Java EE modules."
>
> We already have a start of that with the old Tuscany Geronimo Plugin [2]
> and there's another wiki page thats started to be used to capture some
> requirements at [3]. Currently the old TGP has got out of date and doesn't
> work with any current releases of Geronimo or Tuscany so the first thing to
> do is to get a basic plugin going again and then gradually add functionality
> to it so it does things like:
> - adds all Tuscany jars and their dependencys into Geronimo
>

> If you build this stuff as a geronimo plugin using the geronimo maven2
> car-maven-plugin the maven dependencies will turn into geronimo plugin
> dependencies and get installed automatically when you install the TGP into a
> geronimo server.  I don't think this was really working when the original
> TGP was written.
>

> - supports existing Tuscany webapps without needing to include any Tuscany
> jars or dependencys in the lib directory
>

> Keep in mind I know nothing about tuscany :-)
> You may find it valuable to set up a "tuscany classloader" geronimo plugin
> that has all the tuscany jars in it, and has appropriate parents for stuff
> it needs like jee specs or jaxb.  Then any app can use this as a parent
> classloader and get all the tuscany stuff at once, and all apps will be
> using tuscany classes from the same classloader.

and I know little about Geronimo ... :-)

That sounds good, there's going to need to be some work to get the
classloading right and i don't understand all the Geronimo classloading
options yet. On the surface of it i think we need the Tuscany/SCA API
classes available to applications but the Tuscany runtime classes hidden,
and then like you say to share things like jee specs or jaxb though there
may be some version requrement incompatabilities we need to deal with to do
that. We've already been having some issues running tuscany within webapps
and having classloader issues with Geronimo and the app using the same class
loaded in differnet classloaders.

> - supports simple jar contributions into a Tuscany standalone node
> - supports Tuscany using Geronimo infrastructure for things such as HTTP
> and JMS hosts
> - supports for SCA enabled JEE application local assembly
> - supports SCA wiring across JEE applications and modules
>

> These sound cool, wish I knew what they meant :-)

:) Thats something we need to fix as to foster some interest around SCA in
JEE we need to make all this a bit easier to understand.

Fwd: Tuscany Geronimo integration and the SCA JEE spec

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Didn't click "Reply to all" the last time.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:32 AM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Is there an overview of how the existing TGP works, preferably
> comprehensible from a geronimo-centric viewpoint?

The current plugin has a deployer for sca-contribution jars and an
EmbeddedSCADomainGBean that wraps
org.apache.tuscany.sca.host.embedded.impl.EmbeddedSCADomain.  The deployer
places the sca-contibution jar under the repository and adds an
EmbeddedRuntimeGBean to the configuration.  When the configuration is
started, the EmbeddedRuntimeGBean deploys the sca-contribution into
EmbeddedSCADomain.  The plugin has servlet-host implementations for
Geronimo-Tomcat and Geronimo-Jetty so that the services exposed with
webservice binding use the webcontainer in Geronimo. Proxies to SCA services
are obtained through the SCADomain made available by the
EmbeddedSCADomainGBean.

> On Oct 3, 2008, at 2:57 AM, ant elder wrote:
>
> I'd like to start spending more time actively working on the Tuscany
> Geronimo integration and having that more support the SCA JEE specification
> (see: [1]). Here is a rough outline of what i'd like to do:
>
> The goal of this would be to use Geronimo and Tuscany to create an
> SCA-enabled Java EE runtime, which from the SCA JEE specification means "a
> Java EE runtime that supports deployment and execution of SCA-enhanced Java
> EE applications as well as SCA-enhanced Java EE modules."
>
> We already have a start of that with the old Tuscany Geronimo Plugin [2]
> and there's another wiki page thats started to be used to capture some
> requirements at [3]. Currently the old TGP has got out of date and doesn't
> work with any current releases of Geronimo or Tuscany so the first thing to
> do is to get a basic plugin going again and then gradually add functionality
> to it so it does things like:
> - adds all Tuscany jars and their dependencys into Geronimo
>

> If you build this stuff as a geronimo plugin using the geronimo maven2
> car-maven-plugin the maven dependencies will turn into geronimo plugin
> dependencies and get installed automatically when you install the TGP into a
> geronimo server.  I don't think this was really working when the original
> TGP was written.

The current TGP is built using car-maven-plugin.

> - supports existing Tuscany webapps without needing to include any Tuscany
> jars or dependencys in the lib directory
>

> Keep in mind I know nothing about tuscany :-)
> You may find it valuable to set up a "tuscany classloader" geronimo plugin
> that has all the tuscany jars in it, and has appropriate parents for stuff
> it needs like jee specs or jaxb.  Then any app can use this as a parent
> classloader and get all the tuscany stuff at once, and all apps will be
> using tuscany classes from the same classloader.

This seems to be a good idea.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
You might be missing the  tuscany-definitions-xml dependency.
Check if adding <artifactId>tuscany-definitions-xml</artifactId>
dependency to your pom helps.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany, Apache PhotArk

Re: Tuscany Geronimo integration and the SCA JEE spec

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
There are a few more tuscany dependency jars missing which is resulting in
the WARNING message.  I will add those missing dependencies.

++Vamsi

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
One of the problems is in the Tuscany Jsr237WorkScheduler class which causes
an NPE when trying to deploy an SCA scontribution jar to Geronimo. This diff
is a workaround for that problem:

src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/core/work/Jsr237WorkScheduler.java
---
src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/core/work/Jsr237WorkScheduler.java
(revision 701970)
+++
src/main/java/org/apache/tuscany/sca/core/work/Jsr237WorkScheduler.java
(working copy)
@@ -65,7 +65,7 @@
         try {
             jsr237WorkManager =
(WorkManager)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/wm/TuscanyWorkManager");
-        } catch (NamingException e) {
+        } catch (Throwable e) {
             // ignore
         }
         if (jsr237WorkManager == null) {

   ...ant

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:34 PM, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2008, at 2:56 AM, ant elder wrote:
>
> Tuscany uses JDK logging but putting a logging.properties file into the
> Geronimo var\log folder doesn't seem to get picked up. Any ideas on where
> that should go or how to configure Tuscany logging options when running in
> Geronimo?
>

> Does this help?
>

> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/locating-your-application-specific-configuration-files.html
>
> thanks
> david jencks

Thanks it certainly looks interesting, i'll have a play around and see if i
can get it to work based on that info.

   ...ant

Re: Tuscany Geronimo integration and the SCA JEE spec

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi JS,
> Vamsi generated some doc --
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Installing+the+Tuscany+Plugin+for+Geronimo
>
> Although it's not working for me, at the moment... Vamsi, do those
> instructions work for you?

Yes, those instructions work for me.  What is the error you are seeing?

> More comments below...
>
> On Dec 1, 2008, at 12:40 PM, mobyjobs wrote:
>

> I tried to install the plug in but seeing missing dependency message (as
> bellow), not sure what I have missed:
>
> C:\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3\bin>deploy --user system --password
> manager in
> stall-plugin
> i:\workspaces\workspaceGME\trunk\tuscanyPlugin\tuscany\tuscany-tomc
> at\target\tuscany-tomcat-1.0-SNAPSHOT.car
> Using GERONIMO_BASE:   C:\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3
> Using GERONIMO_HOME:   C:\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3
> Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: c:\tmp
> Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\jre
> Checking for status every 1000ms:
> Installation FAILED: Configuration
> org.apache.geronimo.plugins/tuscany-tomcat/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car is already
> installed.
> Missing dependency:
> org.apache.geronimo.plugins/tuscany-tomcat/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car
>

> I have checked I have all the dependency files in repository; Here are the
> steps I followed;
>
> - Installed geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3-bin to c:\
> - changed .m2\settings.xml filed to set repository in
> geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3 as the default location:  i.e.
> <localRepository>c:/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5- 2.1.3/repository/;
>

> You should not be using the geronimo server's repository in this manner --
> it's not intended to be a generic maven repository. Just use the default
> location for your local maven repository (i.e. .m2\repository). Geronimo
> will copy the necessary artifacts into the server's repository as needed.
>
> Your server is confused because it's trying to install tuscany-tomcat, but
> there are already artifacts in
> repository/org/apache/geronimo/plugins/tuscany-tomcat directory.
>

> - checkout out code for geronimo plug-in  code from
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/tuscany/trunk/
> - build the plug-in using 'mvn install' ; build was successful and all the
> files copied to repository.
>  3. Deploy plugin using the command "<g_install_dir>\bin\deploy.bat
> install-plugin tuscany tomcat\target\tuscany-tomcat-1.0-SNAPSHOT.car"
>

> After building, I'd use the admin console to install the plugin:
> http://localhost:8080/console/portal/Applications/Plugins
>
> Click "Show Plugins in selected repository", select "Geronimo :: Tuscany
> Plugin for Geronimo Tomcat" and click the install button (scroll down to the
> bottom of the screen), then click install again. This should installs the
> Tuscany plugin and dependencies into my 2.1.4-SNAPSHOT server.

I will add these instructions to the wiki page.

> You'll also need the config.xml changes mentioned in
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Installing+the+Tuscany+Plugin+for+Geronimo
>
> Even with these, things don't seem to be working. I can deploy the sample
> jsp app, but it doesn't seem to be working... Hoping that Vamsi can comment.

Are you using Geronimo v2.1.3?  That is the version on which I have verified
that the instructions work.

--
Vamsi

Re: Tuscany Geronimo integration and the SCA JEE spec

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
The problem is that the SCA contribution you have is a jar file and there is
no way of associating other jar files with that contribution. The way i
think you'd need to do that is instead of using a jar contribution use a zip
format contribution that contains all the jars the application needs. The
SCA specs do not explicitly say the jars nested within a zip contribution
should be added to the application classpath but it make sense to me,
unfortunately the current Tuscany code does not do that. I've raised a JIRA
[1] and started a thread on the Tuscany del list about this [2], i'll post
back here when there is a resolution.

In the mean time a way to work around this would be to use one of the JEE
packaging formats that do support nested application jars, for example, use
a webapp .war with the application jars in the web-inf/lib folder.

   ...ant

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-2786
[2] http://apache.markmail.org/message/celjknbozpn4kar5

Posted by mobyjobs <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mobyjobs <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 3, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Raymond Feng wrote:

> I'm a bit worried that all the Tuscany/Geronimo integration
> discussions are carried on the Geronimo ML only. Would it be
> possible that we copy both Tuscany and Geronimo ML?

In my experience, cross-posting can easily (usually?) ends up with
fractured conversations (people responding with "Reply" rather than
time or two...

There is the danger of discussions occurring on the wrong list.
However, I don't recall any major transgressions. No problems with
status or announcements being cross-posted, but I'd prefer to see
discussions be targeted to the appropriate list.

--kevan

Re: Tuscany Geronimo integration and the SCA JEE spec

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
I'm a bit worried that all the Tuscany/Geronimo integration discussions are carried on the Geronimo ML only. Would it be possible that we copy both Tuscany and Geronimo ML?

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
I am able to install the plugin on a clean Geronimo Tomcat v2.1.3 server
following the instructions given in the wiki [1]. I have also verified that
all samples run as expected.

[1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Installing+the+Tuscany+Plugin+for+Geronimo

++Vamsi

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:19 AM, mobyjobs <mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for help. The issue with my setup turned out was wrong tuscany-core
> version. I was using latest tuscany-core.1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar. As I thought the
> fix in tuscany-core.1.3.jar submitted in the Jira was also applied to the
> tuscany branch. But it looks like I needed to change version from
> 1.4-SNAPSHOT to 1.3 and then change tuscany-core.1.3.jar with the one in
> Jira.
>
> Now I am trying example and to see at least RIM and web bindings are
> working
> (which is what I am looking for at this time).
>
> -Jamil
>

> Kevan Miller wrote:
> >

> > Hi JS,
> > Vamsi generated some doc --
> >
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Installing+the+Tuscany+Plugin+for+Geronimo
> >
> > Although it's not working for me, at the moment... Vamsi, do those
> > instructions work for you?
> >
> > More comments below...

Vamsi

Re: Tuscany Geronimo integration and the SCA JEE spec

Posted by mobyjobs <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi JS,

You'll also need the config.xml changes mentioned in http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Installing+the+Tuscany+Plugin+for+Geronimo

Posted by mobyjobs <mo...@gmail.com>.
[...]

but it failed with message:
Installation FAILED: Configuration
org.apache.geronimo.plugins/tuscany-tomcat/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car is already
installed.
Missing dependency:
org.apache.geronimo.plugins/tuscany-tomcat/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car

Thanks
JS

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.