Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Res <re...@ausics.net> on 2009/04/15 00:56:22 UTC

sa-compile

Is there a method of speeding this beast up? I can build four entire
kernels and their modules from scratch in the same time it takes this
thing to compile (45mins) is it really worth using this method?
Last time I tried without it, I noticed next to no difference, opinions?

--
Res

-Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Res <re...@ausics.net>.
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Rick Macdougall wrote:

> jp wrote:
>> It only takes a minute or three on my systems depending on load. 21 seconds
>> on a zero load dual core virtual machine with 2gb ram.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:56:22AM +1000, Res wrote:
>>> Is there a method of speeding this beast up? I can build four entire
>>> kernels and their modules from scratch in the same time it takes this
>>> thing to compile (45mins) is it really worth using this method?
>>> Last time I tried without it, I noticed next to no difference, opinions?
>>>

> Normal sa-update && sa-compile takes about 2 minutes here.
>
> If I add JM's saught rules it takes over 30 minutes.
>
> Just FYI.

Rick, et al,

You've hit the nail on the head...

Apr 16 00:03:31 mx0-3 sa-update: start
Apr 16 00:04:08 mx0-3 sa-update: compiling
Apr 16 00:52:27 mx0-3 sa-update: completed

... remove sought rules, and...

Apr 16 10:44:09 mx0-3 sa-update: start
Apr 16 10:44:25 mx0-3 sa-update: compiling
Apr 16 10:52:45 mx0-3 sa-update: completed

sought is no longer sought'n :)

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

>> Normal sa-update && sa-compile takes about 2 minutes here.
>> If I add JM's saught rules it takes over 30 minutes.

> Here's another data point.  With JM's sought and sought-fraud rules the
> compile takes less than 7 minutes on a server running an Intel Core 2 Duo
> running at 2.13 GHz.
>
> # time sa-compile
> real	6m46.466s
> user	6m34.792s
> sys	0m9.251s

Same here. compile times went up like crazy with the sought rules.
JM, is this normal?

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
A lot of stuff is cached between runs in ~/.spamassassin...

--j.

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
well.. thats not it.  im using 0.13.5 also.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Larry Nedry <sp...@bluestreak.net>.

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.
> On 4/15/09 at 10:30 AM -0400 Rick Macdougall wrote:
>> Normal sa-update && sa-compile takes about 2 minutes here.
>> If I add JM's saught rules it takes over 30 minutes.
>
> Here's another data point.  With JM's sought and sought-fraud rules the
> compile takes less than 7 minutes on a server running an Intel Core 2 Duo
> running at 2.13 GHz.
>
> # time sa-compile
> real 6m46.466s
> user 6m34.792s
> sys 0m9.251s

I suspect that it might have to do also with the version or re2c.
I think when we hit .13 it got worse.

Larry: what version of re2c are you using?

(and, yes, my compiles of sought rules take 30 mins, )  if you crontab this
once an hour, you really only have 30 mins of coverage.  So I do it once a
day.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
>|SECNAP Network Security
Finalist 2009 Network Products Guide Hot Companies
FreeBSD SpamAssassin Ports maintainer

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Larry Nedry <sp...@bluestreak.net>.

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
jp wrote:
> It only takes a minute or three on my systems depending on load. 21
> seconds on a zero load dual core virtual machine with 2gb ram.
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:56:22AM +1000, Res wrote:
>> Is there a method of speeding this beast up? I can build four entire
>> kernels and their modules from scratch in the same time it takes this thing
>> to compile (45mins) is it really worth using this method?
>> Last time I tried without it, I noticed next to no difference, opinions?
>>

>> --
>> Res
>>
>> -Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers

Normal sa-update && sa-compile takes about 2 minutes here.

If I add JM's saught rules it takes over 30 minutes.

Just FYI.

Regards,

Rick

Re: sa-compile

Posted by jp <jp...@saucer.midcoast.com>.
It only takes a minute or three on my systems depending on load. 21
seconds on a zero load dual core virtual machine with 2gb ram.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:56:22AM +1000, Res wrote:
> Is there a method of speeding this beast up? I can build four entire
> kernels and their modules from scratch in the same time it takes this thing
> to compile (45mins) is it really worth using this method?
> Last time I tried without it, I noticed next to no difference, opinions?
>

> --
> Res
>
> -Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers

--
/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL

RE: sa-compile

Posted by RobertH <ro...@abbacomm.net>.

for those in the know re the programming and speed of processing using
sa-compile...

it appears the fules compile fast without the sought ruleset applied.

and time to compile increases by roughly (very rough) a factor of 10 with
sought ruleset applied.

is that time extra time spent strictly in the cpu and ram cycles or are
their other slower factors involved?

is the processing by sa-compile serial or can it be paralleled out to many
processors at the same time?

sorry, i dont know and havent looked at the code.

what i am wondering is how much processing speed or how many processors does
one have to throw at it to get it down "substantially" and then equate that
to a new server box in costs so to speak

:-)

 - rh

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 17:31 -0400, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> > Is there a method of speeding this beast up? I can build four entire
> > kernels and their modules from scratch in the same time it takes this
> > thing to compile (45mins) is it really worth using this method?
> > Last time I tried without it, I noticed next to no difference, opinions?
>
> Same here, sought rules take an extra 30mins (normally is 2mins)

Wonder why that is -- due to the excessively long metas? The sub-rules'
REs are quite trivial.

Would constructing it using a binary (or n-ary, with small upper bound
of n) tree speed the compilation up?

Re: sa-compile

Posted by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>.