Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Tupelo-Schneck <sc...@cnri.reston.va.us> on 2015/09/09 17:47:22 UTC

Re: Errors at INFO level despite "Note: further occurrences of ... errors will be logged at DEBUG level."

> On 2015-08-20, at 06:03, Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm running Tomcat 8.0.24.  I see lots of errors in catalina.out with lines like
>>
>> Note: further occurrences of Cookie errors will be logged at DEBUG level.
>> Note: further occurrences of Parameter errors will be logged at DEBUG level.
>> Note: further occurrences of HTTP header parsing errors will be logged at DEBUG level.
>>
>> But, the errors keep showing up at INFO level!
>>
>> I get these many many times a day, but I do not get user complaints, and I have not been able to cause the errors myself.
>>
>> I would like to either
>> (1) Make these errors go away (such as by really having them logged at DEBUG level), or
>> (2) Get detailed information on the client request that caused the error so I can figure out how to make them less frequent.
>
> 1. Both logging level and silencing interval are configurable with
> system properties. See properties with "UserDataHelper" in their name
> on the following page:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/systemprops.html#Logging
[...]
> It is possible to change cookie handling by configuring a different
> CookieProcessor,
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/cookie-processor.html

In case others experience similar issues, I wanted to record that what worked for me was to add this line to conf/catalina.properties:

org.apache.juli.logging.UserDataHelper.CONFIG=DEBUG_ALL

and this line to conf/context.xml:

<CookieProcessor className="org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Rfc6265CookieProcessor" />

Now my logs are free from these unwanted messages.

Thanks,
Robert