Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2000/12/16 00:11:08 UTC

Re: PATCH (Xalan 1.2): XRTreeFrag nodeset()

Hi Gary,

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:22:46 -0800, Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com> wrote:

> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm posting this patch again as the subject of the thread under which I posted
> > it may be misleading.
> >
> > This patch allows applying templates on a tree fragment, which could be the
> > value of a variable for example. Here's an example:
> >
> > <xslt:template match="page[split]">
> >  <xsl:variable name="page">
> >   <page>
> >    <xsl:apply-templates select="preceding::split"/>
> >   </page>
> >  </xsl:variable>
> >  <xsl:apply-templates select="$page"/>
> > </xsl:template>
> >
> > The patch implements nodeset() to XRTreeFrag.
>
> Ovidiu ---
>
> XalanJ1 has a nodeset extension built into it already.  Your proposed
> patch could allow result tree fragments to be automatically treated like
> node-sets.  This is not permitted by the XSLT 1.0 standard so it is
> probably not something we'd want to incorporate into the base Xalan.  If
> I've misunderstood something, please let me know.

OK, I see your point.

However, I've been reading section 11.2 point 2, and section 11.3 of the XSLT
1.0 specification and it appears to me that the example above should work.
Saxon definitely doesn't barf at it and does the expected things. I agree that
in the spec it appears that node-sets and tree fragments are two different
things, but I'm wondering how this could be supported one way or another.

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>