Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pfingstl Gernot <ge...@stmk.gv.at> on 2005/05/09 12:09:48 UTC

tomcat 5.5.9 removes mycontext.xml

I'm using tomcat 5.5.9, my server.xml contains
<Host name="localhost"
            deployXML="false"
            appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="false"
            autoDeploy="true"
            deployOnStartup="true" >
I tried it also with 'unpackWARs="true"' - with the same result.

{catalina.base}/conf/context.xml is the default one:
<Context>
    <!-- Default set of monitored resources -->
    <!-- Uncomment this to disable session persistence across Tomcat restarts ->
    <!--
    <Manager pathname="" />
    -->
</Context>

I have mycontext.xml in {catalina.base}/conf/Catalina/localhost:
<Context docBase="/somewhere/somewhat.war" />

Every time I update my somewhat.war (I tried 'jar uf ....', 'cp', 'mv'), mycontext.xml (at {catalina.base}/conf/Catalina/localhost) will be deleted by tomcat!
Why?
Is this a bug?
...or feature?

The tomcat docs ("tomcat-docs/config/host.html#Automatic%20Application%20Deployment") says:
"An update to a WAR which has been expanded will trigger an undeploy (with a removal of the expanded webapp), followed by a deployment"

How should a deployment succeed if the mycontext.xml is removed?

Gernot