Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org> on 2019/04/08 12:55:42 UTC

Jira: Author Field

A couple of people have recently raised the possibility of an Author field in JIRA, that permits multiple authors (much like we now support multiple reviewers).

Unfortunately this can never be quite as clean as Reviewers, as Assignee is a core Jira field and cannot be replaced entirely by Authors.  However, when we (hopefully later) get the ScriptRunner add-on, we might be able to manage it transparently.

In the meantime, I don’t see any harm in introducing an Author field anyway.  Does anyone have any objections?

Re: Jira: Author Field

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
I think it’s just for people to know who is responsible for the work, much the same as for Reviewers.  This can be useful to know before commit, and also to have a more easily queried source of the knowledge than in Git.  It also permits searching in Jira for tickets by a particular person, and producing reports on said data (say).

FWIW, I’ve also got no strong pre-conceived position on this, I’m just bringing forward a request I’ve had made a couple of times off the back of the Jira changes.  But, multi-author tickets seem to becoming a bit more common, and are something we should perhaps be encouraging.  It’s also easiest to do now, while we’re in flux.

Re: Jira: Author Field

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
Ok, there’s now an ‘Authors' field

Re: Jira: Author Field