Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by JP Moresmau <jp...@dol.ie> on 2001/03/12 23:19:04 UTC

Feedback on install

Hi, as suggested in the docs I post here some feedback on installing Cocoon,
hope this is the right list!

I successfully installed Cocoon 1.8.2 on Windows 2000 Server, using IIS5 as
the
web server and Tomcat 3.2.1 as the servlet engine. I noticed this combination
wasn't in the list, so there you go, it works! I have other servlet engine/web
servers available on this machine, so if there is a need to do some testing on
other combinations, just shout, I'll see what I can do.
I used Sun's JDK 1.3 as the JDK, no problem there. I tried JDK 1.2 as well,
everything worked fine except for an ugly looking error in the console:
A nonfatal internal JIT (3.00.078(x)) error 'Relocation error: NULL relocation
target' has occurred in :
  'org/apache/crimson/parser/Parser2.maybeComment (Z)Z': Interpreting method.
  Please report this error in detail to
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
But I suppose this is a Tomcat issue, not a Cocoon one.

A note about the "install" documentation: I followed roughly the guidelines
from the section on installing on Apache/Tomcat. I had Tomcat working before,
so I just needed to add the relevant Cocoon lib jars to the tomcat.bat startup
script, I copied the file acroos, added a context in server.xml and hop! Er...
Didn't work! On IIS attributing a worker to the directory is done in a
separate
file, uriworkers.properties (it is part of the Apache conf ile additions)
Anyway, the doc should have something about that:
If you are using IIS as your web server, you should have a worker.properties
file in the conf directory of your Tomcat install, check in that what workers
you have configured (look for the line starting with worker.list) On my
machine
I had ajp12 and ajp13. In the same directory there is a file called
uriworkers.properties, add a line like:
/cocoon/*=ajp12 (or whatever your worker name is)
This will ensure the cocoon servlet uses that worker to run.

Hope this helps, I don't know who's in charge of that part of the
documentation
but if help is needed I'd be happy to lend a hand...

JP

JP Moresmau
http://frenchstud.io