Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net> on 2005/09/20 10:00:21 UTC

move branch->trunk or merge?

Hi all,

what is the appropriate method if there were only minor changes in
the trunk, but many changes in a branch all to be merged to the
trunk:

I could merge the few trunk changes to the branch and move (rename)
the branch to the trunk, resulting in much less (duplicate) merging,

or make a big merge branch -> trunk. In this case I wonder whether I
should repeat all commit comments or only say "merged all changes of
branch foo".

As a SVN newbie I can't see what's better (safe, clear, efficient).

Any comments?

TIA,

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen

Re: move branch->trunk or merge?

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Oliver> Would you also repeat all commit comments or only say "merged
 Oliver> all changes of branch...", and the curious had to look at the
 Oliver> branch commit comments to see what happened?

I would just say "merged from branch rev xxx".  Yes, anyone who needs
to know the details (which might well be thousands of lines of text)
can use the svn log command...

    paul

Re: move branch->trunk or merge?

Posted by Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net>.
Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com> wrote:

[move branch to trunk or merge?]

> Moving a branch to trunk seems like a bad idea, that confuses the
> picture quite badly.  I like my revision trees to be trees, not
> graphs... :-)

Ack, that was also my objection.

So I commit all changes done earlier in the branch.

Would you also repeat all commit comments or only say "merged all
changes of branch...", and the curious had to look at the branch

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Oliver> Hi all, what is the appropriate method if there were only
 Oliver> minor changes in the trunk, but many changes in a branch all
 Oliver> to be merged to the trunk:

 Oliver> I could merge the few trunk changes to the branch and move
 Oliver> (rename) the branch to the trunk, resulting in much less
 Oliver> (duplicate) merging,

 Oliver> or make a big merge branch -> trunk. In this case I wonder
 Oliver> whether I should repeat all commit comments or only say
 Oliver> "merged all changes of branch foo".

 Oliver> As a SVN newbie I can't see what's better (safe, clear,
 Oliver> efficient).

I'm an SVN newbie too.  But anyway...

If one side has few changes, then a merge should be easy.  It
shouldn't matter whether you merge branch to trunk or trunk to
branch.

So I would get myself a clean working directory of the trunk, merge
the branch to it, and do one commit.