Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Scott Lombard <lo...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/24 21:20:07 UTC

[Lucene.Net] Creating a ASF fork of Sharpen under a dOCL license

We have been discussing under
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-380 the possibility of
bringing Sharpen into our repo under a db4o Opensource Compatibility License
(dOCL) license.  Here are the basics of what we have been discussing.

Versant allows db4o products to be licensed three different ways as
discussed on the following website
http://www.db4o.com/about/company/legalpolicies/docl.aspx.  It seemed to me
that it may be possible that the ASF could come to an agreement with Versant
and under a db4o Opensource Compatibility License (dOCL) allow a Sharpen
variant in our repository.  The other option is to create a fork under the
GPL license and maintain it outside of ASF.

Scott

[Lucene.Net] Re: Creating a ASF fork of Sharpen under a dOCL license

Posted by Scott Lombard <sl...@theta.net>.
I sent an email to the db4o team to see what they think.  When I get a
response back from them we should have more answers.  At that point it
will either be a no on their end or we will have specific items to
discuss.

Scott

Re: [Lucene.Net] Creating a ASF fork of Sharpen under a dOCL license

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

`----

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-03-24, Scott Lombard wrote:

> It seemed to me that it may be possible that the ASF could come to an
> agreement with Versant and under a db4o Opensource Compatibility
> License (dOCL) allow a Sharpen variant in our repository.

I haven't followed the discussion as to why you think a fork is
necessary.  Do you think they'd understand your reasons and agree the
fork is a good idea?

> The other option is to create a fork under the GPL license and
> maintain it outside of ASF.

If you can live with Google code, apache-extras.org may be an option.

Stefan