Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Israel Timoteo <it...@me.com.INVALID> on 2019/05/20 13:27:16 UTC

ApacheCon agenda?

Hi team,

When can we expect to see the ApacheCon agenda published?

Thanks

Israel Timoteo

Re: ApacheCon agenda?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Israel,

On 5/20/19 13:46, Israel Timoteo wrote:
> It would be very interesting having a talk where I can experiment
> (like in a lab) building a configuration for HTTPD as a proxy for
> a Tomcat cluster; something where I can see details for best
> practices on how to calculate the number of clients
> (ThreadsPerChild, MaxRequestWorkers, MaxConnectionsPerChild, etc)
> in apache that matches number of clients in Tomcat (maxThreads,
> maxConnections, acceptCount, etc) and then know how to adjust that
> number when the number of Tomcat instances changes.
>
> From my experience in past conferences, sessions for HTTPD are
> normally separated from the ones with Tomcat content; I cannot
> recall attended one where this expertise is shared - maybe there
> was one last year but I had to interrupt my attendance on the first
> day, then I might have missed it.

I've sat through several variations on "how to proxy / load balance
httpd+Tomcat" which cover all the topics you raise above. For example,
see Tomcat's presentations page[1] and search for "prox" (without a
trailing "y", so you find both "proxy" and "proxies"). There is also a
3-part series from Mark in 2015 called "Tomcat Clustering" which
separately covers reverse proxies, load-balancing, and clustering.

We could present updated versions of that material if it would be
helpful to the community.

> However, the intention of my asking is to show my manager the
> knowledge to be offered on this conference so I can justify
> attending the event.

Understood.

- -chris

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/presentations.html

Re: ApacheCon agenda?

Posted by Israel Timoteo <it...@me.com.INVALID>.
Chris,

It would be very interesting having a talk where I can experiment (like in a lab) building a configuration for HTTPD as a proxy for a Tomcat cluster; something where I can see details for best practices on how to calculate the number of clients (ThreadsPerChild, MaxRequestWorkers, MaxConnectionsPerChild, etc) in apache that matches number of clients in Tomcat (maxThreads, maxConnections, acceptCount, etc) and then know how to adjust that number when the number of Tomcat instances changes.

From my experience in past conferences, sessions for HTTPD are normally separated from the ones with Tomcat content; I cannot recall attended one where this expertise is shared - maybe there was one last year but I had to interrupt my attendance on the first day, then I might have missed it.

itimoteo@me.com

Re: ApacheCon agenda?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.