Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/09/10 14:23:16 UTC

Status of Lenya

Hi, my Lenya friends :-)

I'd like to start being more active with pushing the project forward and
would like now to make a "state of the project", and set up a lenya
STATUS file in the incubator repository.

I have not been reading all mails in the lenya project, but things seem
to be progressing in a "normal" way.

Design is happening on the lists. This is positive. Committers that are
not partecipating have step back. This is also positive.

Are we gaining other contributors?
Is there synergy with other projects?
What's the status of the project WRT the incubator points?
What are the expectations?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Status of Lenya

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
>>> I have not been reading all mails in the lenya project, but things
>>> seem to be progressing in a "normal" way.
>>

>> for your local definition of normal :)
>

> In what sense? I'm interested to know how you guys feel the change, as I
> was not involved before it has come to Apache.

i cant speak for everyone, but i feel the change is a good thing. for
instance, the stream of messages on lenya-user recently when people
couldnt install lenya successfully for a while drove it home to fix
that, and i think we did :) it challenges your assumptions when you get
actual users :) lots to learn.

> Ok, thi8s is again positive. May I suggest also at least a couple of
> milestone releases that others can chew on?

absolutely

> Hmmm, I'd say it's a *possible* synergy, but not yet active. If you
> don't start releasing something that works to test, nobody will be
> interested. Release early, release often. And remember that our users
> are our testers.

thanks for the advice :) yeah we need to release more often. hopefully
future changes wont be as invasive allowing us to freeze more, but what
do i know :)

-gregor

Re: Status of Lenya

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>> I'd like to start being more active with pushing the project forward
>> and would like now to make a "state of the project", and set up a
>> lenya STATUS file in the incubator repository.
>
> absolutely. do we have cvs access to that repository, or how would the
> update process work?

You should all have access. If not, ask for it.

>> I have not been reading all mails in the lenya project, but things
>> seem to be progressing in a "normal" way.
>
> for your local definition of normal :)

In what sense? I'm interested to know how you guys feel the change, as I
was not involved before it has come to Apache.

>> Design is happening on the lists. This is positive. Committers that
>> are not partecipating have step back. This is also positive.
>
> thank you. we try to do even more design work on the list as we go
> forward. it's a change from "shouting across the hall" to mailing list
> conversations for some of us, but we are working on it.

ATM it's difficult, I understand. Having all other contributors in the
same place and having to mail is not... well... normal. That's why we
need other contributors.

>> Are we gaining other contributors?
>
> there is some interest, some patches, but no one has been proposed for
> comittership yet. one hurdle is the lack of a stable release which we
> are currently addressing. lots of new contributors were certainly put of
> by all the stuff that is in flux. we are aiming for a 1.2 release in
> october.

Ok, thi8s is again positive. May I suggest also at least a couple of
milestone releases that others can chew on?

>> Is there synergy with other projects?
>
> yes, especially with the forrest, lucene and xindide projects. in the
> back of our heads, we still have this vision of offering a nice editing
> environment to create forrest sites for ASF web properties.

Hmmm, I'd say it's a *possible* synergy, but not yet active. If you
don't start releasing something that works to test, nobody will be
interested. Release early, release often. And remember that our users
are our testers.

> i guess we need to strut our stuff a bit more (once it stabilized). i'm
> sure quite a few apache committers would like to use our wywiwyg stuff.
>
>> What's the status of the project WRT the incubator points?
>
> have to re read them to give a good answer to that one

It should be in the incubator STATUS file.

>> What are the expectations?
>
> world domination ;)

Good ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Status of Lenya

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Hi, my Lenya friends :-)

hey nicola :)

> I'd like to start being more active with pushing the project forward and
> would like now to make a "state of the project", and set up a lenya
> STATUS file in the incubator repository.

absolutely. do we have cvs access to that repository, or how would the
update process work?

> I have not been reading all mails in the lenya project, but things seem
> to be progressing in a "normal" way.

for your local definition of normal :)

> Design is happening on the lists. This is positive. Committers that are
> not partecipating have step back. This is also positive.

thank you. we try to do even more design work on the list as we go
forward. it's a change from "shouting across the hall" to mailing list
conversations for some of us, but we are working on it.

> Are we gaining other contributors?

there is some interest, some patches, but no one has been proposed for
comittership yet. one hurdle is the lack of a stable release which we
are currently addressing. lots of new contributors were certainly put of
by all the stuff that is in flux. we are aiming for a 1.2 release in
october.

> Is there synergy with other projects?

yes, especially with the forrest, lucene and xindide projects. in the
back of our heads, we still have this vision of offering a nice editing
environment to create forrest sites for ASF web properties.

i guess we need to strut our stuff a bit more (once it stabilized). i'm
sure quite a few apache committers would like to use our wywiwyg stuff.

> What's the status of the project WRT the incubator points?

have to re read them to give a good answer to that one

> What are the expectations?

world domination ;)

HTH

-gregor

Re: Status of Lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Hi, my Lenya friends :-)
>
> I'd like to start being more active with pushing the project forward
> and would like now to make a "state of the project", and set up a
> lenya STATUS file in the incubator repository.

I will try to deliver a status report by the end of next week.  I
currently try to finish the AtomAPI implementation
into Lenya and haven't  found the peace of mind yet -)

Thanks

Michael

Re: Status of Lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
I just realize that I have totally forgotten to send a status report.
Sorry for this.
I will try next week, else feel free to pull my ear. Maybe we could do
one collaboratively on the Wiki ;-)

Thanks

Michael