Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Vincent Juliano <vj...@optonline.net> on 2013/09/23 21:15:05 UTC

Alphabetizing when using a spread sheet as an index for parts storage.

In using  a spreadsheet , using two columns where the first column contains the part description and the second column indicates where the part is to be found alphabetizaation was tried..

This feature hasn't been used in quite some time. When activated the alphabetizing is done using the SECOND column.  This puts all the part descriptions in chaos but the placement in alphabetical order.

To accomplish the alphabetization properly the parts list was cut and placed in the second column behind the position the part is to be found.

It works and then the columns are then changed into proper placement and all is well.

It's necessary to upgrade the spreadsheet because of constant additions and removals.

What is the necessary procedure to get the alphabetization of the spreadsheet based on the first column?

Thank you

Link edits will not "stick" after closing spreadsheet

Posted by David L Babcock <ol...@rochester.rr.com>.
Win XP.
I have several spreadsheets, linked.

I copied these to my Dropbox directory and gave access to my soon
replacement.  -Dropbox worked as expected. She could work in the files
(but the links were broken, I'm pretty sure).

I opened the files from my end and used Edit>Links to change the links,
which made them work, for me.  Except that the DDE code in the affected
cells did not change, and so when I closed and then opened the files the
changes were lost.  (Do I have to say this is nutty behavior?  Just
where does a link /live ?/)

On a whim I just repeated the edit thing on the original files and got
the same result: the edit does not stick.  (Never mind Dropbox, that was
apparently a red herring.)

Okay, whats the workaround?

Secondly -back to Dropbox, and assuming a solution- I would like to use
relative addressing in the links, so that when we take turns on the
spreadsheets we don't have to change the links each and every time.
When she is working the path includes (if XP) something like "Donna\My
Documents\Dropbox\" etc, while I need to have "\Ol' Bab\My
Documents\Dropbox".  Is this possible?

To make it perhaps harder the several files are in several directories,
down two levels in Dropbox.

Give example, I don't remember back that far...

Thanking you for any help,
Ol' Bab

Re: Alphabetizing when using a spread sheet as an index for parts storage.

Posted by Vincent Juliano <vj...@optonline.net>.
Regina,

It was a great help. thank you

Vince