Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rau NF <nf...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/30 20:57:37 UTC

Re:to: Tomcat under load problems - Use 'java -Xss' to increase default stack size

Yes - Tomcat is running as an http server too. We are
running load tests to see if we can reproduce this
problem.

I==============================================================Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:48:23 -0500
From: Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject: Re: Tomcat under load problems - Use 'java
-Xss' to increase default
 stack siz

I have been running Tomcat in production on serveral
Solaris servers
with -Xss reduced down to 128K for years.  This is for
jdk 1.3.1.
We have had no problems with exceeding the stack size.

I am not familiar enough with linux to get very
specific.

First thing is to see if it is application related.
Try load testing Tomcat using some example
applications
to see if it still has stack problems.

If there are no problems, then use OptimizeIt or
JProbe
to profile your application.  That may give you some
hints
at what to look at.

Is Tomcat being run as the http server or do you have
it
behind apache so apache can serve static content?

You might try switching JVM's to see if that changes
anything.

Just a few stabs in the dark.  Others who use linux
may
have more specific ideas on how to troubleshoot this.

Regards,

Glenn

Rau NF wrote:
> Hi - My apologies for posting on this but we really
> need some help on this.
>
> We have seen this problem showing up on Tomcat
4.1.24
> (/JDK 1.4.2 from Sun/Linux) after running tomcat for
> few hours.
>
> Fatal: Stack size too small. Use 'java -Xss' to
> increase default stack size.
>
> We have set the stack size to 1024k (and also 1536k)
> and we still get this error. Heap size is -Xms/Xmx
1.5
> Gb. We are running RedHat 8.x (Linux
2.4.18-19.8.0smp
> #1 SMP Thu Dec 12 04:36:25 EST 2002 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linu)
>
> Not sure if this is an application bug (recursion)
or
> something to do with Tomcat. There is no other error
> message/exception in any of the tomcat log files.
>
> Is there a way to track this down by enabling
verbose