Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marc de Wet <ma...@webmail.co.za> on 2005/06/17 10:58:28 UTC

[users@httpd] Using Apache Error Pages

I am running Win XP,apache 2.0.x,PHP 5.0, with Maxthon
browser. I am also quite new to the Apache web Server
experience so please bear with me.
When I try to get Apache to use its own internal error
pages I still get IE's pages. Can someone please tell me in
simple language how I go about activating these Apache
error pages? I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanking you in advance,
Marc de Wet

Re: [users@httpd] Using Apache Error Pages

Posted by Marc de Wet <ma...@webmail.co.za>.
Hi Joost,
Ok,I must admit that I did not turn that off,I will do so
and see if it works.
Regarding the size of the error pages,they are Apache's
default pages and they ARE bigger than 512 kbytes.

Thanking you kindly,
Marc.

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.

Posted by Marc de Wet <ma...@webmail.co.za>.
Hi Ian,
Thank you so much for replying to my problem.
Ok,I did exactly what you did in httpd.conf and like I say
I still get the IE eroor pages.
Do I need to move the error folder to my web root??
As for using non- IE browser,I am currently using
Maxthon.Could that be the problem as I know that Maxthon is
IE based??
If so,what browser would you recommend?
Thanking you in anticipation,

Posted by Ian Stuart <Ia...@ed.ac.uk>.
Marc de Wet wrote:
> Hi K. Anand,
> I understand what you have sent me,but in the
> httpd.conf,there is a section where you can tell apache to
> use its own error pages,you just need to uncomment them,or
> so it looks,but when I do it still displays the IE error
> pages. The apache error pages I want to use are the default
> ones in the error folder,so the size problem is not
> relevant here,from what I can see.
Ah, I think you misunderstand here...
Apache returns the error page you have defined... this is what I have
defined in my own web server:

    Alias /error/ "/filesystem/path/to/share/error/"

    <Directory "/filesystem/path/to/share/error/">
        AllowOverride None
        Options IncludesNoExec
        AddOutputFilter Includes html
        AddHandler type-map var
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        LanguagePriority en es de fr
        ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback
    </Directory>
    ErrorDocument 404 /error/HTTP_NOT_FOUND.html.var
{etc...}

However, if the file returned is tiny, IE elects to ignore the page thus
returned, and display it's own page.

What happens if you test the error page with a non-ie browser?
--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Re: [users@httpd] Using Apache Error Pages

Posted by K Anand <ka...@sail-steel.com>.
>From what I understand, this is not a server issue...IE is not displaying
the message that it is getting from the server but is showing its own
message...

>From the apache manual :
"
 Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE) will by default ignore server-generated
error messages when they are "too small" and substitute its own "friendly"
error messages. The size threshold varies depending on the type of error,
but in general, if you make your error document greater than 512 bytes, then
MSIE will show the server-generated error rather than masking it. More
information is available in Microsoft Knowledgebase article Q294807.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q294807

"

Anand