Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by David Worms <op...@abile.net> on 2004/03/16 14:51:05 UTC

[avalon/logging] logkit dependency

While attempting to build avalon/logging, maven complains about logkit
dependency. It try to locate version 2 of logkit. Building
avalon-logkit from cvs, it seems that the current version is 1.2. Build
is fine if I rename the logkit jar file to logkit-2.0.jar

+----------------------------------------
| Building: Avalon Logging Logkit Plugin API
| Memory: 12M/18M
+----------------------------------------
Attempting to download logkit-2.0.jar.
Error retrieving artifact from
[http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/logkit/jars/logkit-2.0.jar]:
java.lang.Exception: Can't get logkit-2.0.jar to
/usr/local/maven/repository/logkit/jars/logkit-2.0.jar
WARNING: Failed to download logkit-2.0.jar.

d.

Re: [avalon/logging] logkit dependency

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 16 March 2004 22:10, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> David Worms wrote:
> > While attempting to build avalon/logging, maven complains about logkit
> > dependency. It try to locate version 2 of logkit. Building avalon-logkit
> > from cvs, it seems that the current version is 1.2. Build is fine if I
> > rename the logkit jar file to logkit-2.0.jar
>
> Niclas has been doing so stuff with logkit to sort out a problem and
> that resulted in a version change and he's propagated that to the avalon
> logging package.  What your seeing is a transient reference to a release
> version id for a product that hasn't been released just yet.
>
> The short term workaround is to build against the current snapshot of
> avalon-logging which is linked to the 1.2.2 logkit impl (i.e. don;t try
> and build avalon-logging until Niclas surfaces).

The drift-wood has wash ashore....

Deprecated stuff is removed from LogKit (and something else I can't remember
also stipulating a MAJOR bump), hence the bump to 2.0.
This has ripple effects and avalon-logging was upgraded to depend on LogKit
2.0.

If LogKit 2.0 (note it is in CVS module avalon-logkit, and not the logkit
usbdir in avalon/logging) is not in the CVS, then that is a bug. It should
be, and it should build without problem. Let me know if that is not the case
at your place.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [avalon/logging] logkit dependency

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
David Worms wrote:

> While attempting to build avalon/logging, maven complains about logkit
> dependency. It try to locate version 2 of logkit. Building avalon-logkit
> from cvs, it seems that the current version is 1.2. Build is fine if I
> rename the logkit jar file to logkit-2.0.jar

Niclas has been doing so stuff with logkit to sort out a problem and
that resulted in a version change and he's propagated that to the avalon
logging package.  What your seeing is a transient reference to a release
version id for a product that hasn't been released just yet.

The short term workaround is to build against the current snapshot of
avalon-logging which is linked to the 1.2.2 logkit impl (i.e. don;t try
and build avalon-logging until Niclas surfaces).

Cheers, Steve.