Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> on 2017/04/03 14:36:06 UTC

Re: Airavata 0.17 Release planning

Hi All,

We really need to get this release out. I will start working on it. Please input any suggestions/blocker on this time line:

* Merge develop to master (end of day today) and freeze develop

* Test the master and prepare for release.

* Target wednesday for RC1 - branch master to 0.17-release-branch

* Merge any changes from master (during release preparation) to develop. Open develop for 0.18 development.

* If any further changes happen to 0.17-release-branch we need to make sure they are merged to develop as well.

Thoughts, objections?

Suresh

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
@ Shameera, Yes makes sense to me.

Hi All,

With Shameera’s suggestion, this is the modified timeline:

* Merge develop to master (end of day today)

* Test the master and prepare for release.

* Target wednesday for RC1 - branch master to 0.17-release-branch

* Merge any changes during release preparation to both develop and master

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suresh,

What is the status of the release?

Thanks,
Shameera.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 1:22 PM Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I merged PGA and Airavata develop with master. Will work on release now.
>
> Suresh
>
> On Apr 3, 2017, at 11:23 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Suresh/Marcus
>
> We can follow the release git workflow suggested in this article if that
> make sense. http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>
> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 11:00 AM Christie, Marcus Aaron <ma...@iu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Shameera. But I also have a question: what is the role of
>> the release branch?  Is it to be a long lived branch post release for bug
>> fixes for that release, or is it a temporary branch for bug fixes for this
>> release?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marcus
>>
>> On Apr 3, 2017, at 10:56 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Suresh,
>>
>> I would say don't freeze develop, let it go forward instead freeze the
>> master and only apply bug fixes. This bug fixes must go to both develop and
>> master branches.
>>
>> rest of the plan looks good to me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shameera.
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 10:36 AM Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We really need to get this release out. I will start working on it.
>> Please input any suggestions/blocker on this time line:
>>
>> * Merge develop to master (end of day today) and freeze develop
>>
>> * Test the master and prepare for release.
>>
>> * Target wednesday for RC1 - branch master to 0.17-release-branch
>>
>> * Merge any changes from master (during release preparation) to develop.
>> Open develop for 0.18 development.
>>
>> * If any further changes happen to 0.17-release-branch we need to make
>> sure they are merged to develop as well.
>>
>> Thoughts, objections?
>>
>> Suresh
>>
>> > On Jan 6, 2017, at 2:40 PM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Looks like we have significant progress since Airavata 0.16 release in
>> late July 2016. I can volunteer to be the release manager for 0.17. Can we
>> do a feature freeze and start merging develop to master branch and work on
>> a release?
>> >
>> > Any actively development will get disturbed if we start this process
>> from Monday?
>> >
>> > Suresh
>>
>> --
>> Shameera Rathnayaka
>>
>> --
> Shameera Rathnayaka
>

> --
Shameera Rathnayaka

Re: Airavata 0.17 Release planning

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suresh/Marcus

wrote:

> I agree with Shameera. But I also have a question: what is the role of the
> release branch?  Is it to be a long lived branch post release for bug fixes
> for that release, or is it a temporary branch for bug fixes for this
> release?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus
>
> On Apr 3, 2017, at 10:56 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Suresh,
>
> I would say don't freeze develop, let it go forward instead freeze the
> master and only apply bug fixes. This bug fixes must go to both develop and
> master branches.
>
> rest of the plan looks good to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 10:36 AM Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> We really need to get this release out. I will start working on it. Please
> input any suggestions/blocker on this time line:
>
> * Merge develop to master (end of day today) and freeze develop
>
> * Test the master and prepare for release.
>
> * Target wednesday for RC1 - branch master to 0.17-release-branch
>
> * Merge any changes from master (during release preparation) to develop.
> Open develop for 0.18 development.
>
> * If any further changes happen to 0.17-release-branch we need to make
> sure they are merged to develop as well.
>
> Thoughts, objections?
>
> Suresh
>
> > On Jan 6, 2017, at 2:40 PM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Looks like we have significant progress since Airavata 0.16 release in
> late July 2016. I can volunteer to be the release manager for 0.17. Can we
> do a feature freeze and start merging develop to master branch and work on
> a release?
> >
> > Any actively development will get disturbed if we start this process
> from Monday?
> >
> > Suresh
>
> --
> Shameera Rathnayaka
>
> --
Shameera Rathnayaka

Re: Airavata 0.17 Release planning

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
On Apr 3, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Christie, Marcus Aaron <ma...@iu.edu> wrote:

> I agree with Shameera. But I also have a question: what is the role of the release branch?  Is it to be a long lived branch post release for bug fixes for that release, or is it a temporary branch for bug fixes for this release?

More as as long lived branch similar to what we have for airavata-0.15-release-branch any alternative suggestions?

Other alternative is not to branch now, just tag (which is part of release process) and only branch from tag when needed. If we make a next release in a short time then we we may not require to make this long lived branch now with a perceived use.

Suresh

Posted by "Christie, Marcus Aaron" <ma...@iu.edu>.

--
Shameera Rathnayaka