Posted to user@hive.apache.org by mahender bigdata <Ma...@outlook.com> on 2016/03/03 23:38:03 UTC

Field delimiter in hive

Hi,

I'm bit confused to know which character should be taken as delimiter
for hive table generically. Can any one suggest me best Unicode
character which doesn't come has part of data.

Here are the couple of options, Im thinking off for Field Delimiter.
Please let me know which is best one use and chance of that character (
i.e delimiter ) in data is less in day to day scenario..

\U0001  = START OF HEADING ==> SOH  ==> ( CTRL+SHIFT+A in windows) ==>
Hive Default delimiter

_\U001F  __= INFORMATION SEPARATOR ONE = unit separator (US)  => __(
CTRL+SHIFT+ - in windows)_

_\U001E  __= INFORMATION SEPARATOR TWO = record separator (RS) ==> __(
CTRL+SHIFT+6 in windows)_

Some how by name i feel \U001F is best option, can any one comment or
provide best Unicode which doesn't in regular data.

Re: Field delimiter in hive

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
try "~|~" as field delimiter. It normally works for most conditions

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Re: Field delimiter in hive

Posted by Chandeep Singh <cs...@chandeep.com>.