Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Hans Schwaebli <ha...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/25 13:58:38 UTC

log4j Manual, where?

Why is there no good log4j manual?

  I can't find it anywhere. If I missed it, please tell me where it is.

  The turk who programmed log4j has written a manual, but it is not free. I am looking for a free manual.

  If you don't know what I mean, I mean something like the Ant manual, where everything is documented.

  Thanks.

---------------------------------

Re: log4j Manual, where?

Posted by Hans Schwaebli <ha...@yahoo.com>.
Wayne interessierts,

  so I did not overlook something. The simple fact is that there is no good official manual and no good unofficial free manual. It seems that log4j can afford that, since not many people jump to other logging frameworks.

Wayne Cannon <wc...@turinnetworks.com> wrote:
  Hans,

I agree with you to a limited extent. The for-a-fee manual
, or the "Pro Apache Log4j
"
book, have indexes; but none of them are really well-organized (like the
"Ant in Action" book or the online Ant manual you mention). However,
I've found that the links on the
"http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/documentation.html"
page are
about as thorough as the books or PDF that you have to pay for and some
are at least as good for a step-by-step tutorial format. The "Don't Use
System.out.println! Use Log4j
by Vipan Singla" is
terse/succinct, but contains a pretty thorough set of examples The book
is probably best reference for configuring Log4j integrated with a Web
application (I'm not using it that way; but I say that only because
there is quite a bit of information in the book on the topic). The book
also has more information on writing your own custom modules. After
purchasing both the downloadable manual and the book, I still find
myself going to the links on the above web page and finding them pretty
satisfactory, if not well-organized and indexed.

Regards,
Wayne

Hans Schwaebli wrote:
> Why is there no good log4j manual?
> I can't find it anywhere. If I missed it, please tell me where it is.
> The turk who programmed log4j has written a manual, but it is not free. I am looking for a free manual.
> If you don't know what I mean, I mean something like the Ant manual, where everything is documented.
> Thanks.

---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.

Re: log4j Manual, where?

Posted by Wayne Cannon <wc...@turinnetworks.com>.
Hans,

I agree with you to a limited extent.  The for-a-fee manual
<http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/eclm/>, or the "Pro Apache Log4j
<http://www.amazon.com/Apache-Log4j-Second-Samudra-Gupta/dp/1590594991/ref=sr_1_1/002-6557759-2563217?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185380594&sr=1-1>"
<http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/documentation.html%22> page are
<http://www.vipan.com/htdocs/log4jhelp.html> by Vipan Singla" is

Re: log4j Manual, where?

Posted by James Stauffer <st...@gmail.com>.
The answer is simple.  There is no free, comprehensive manual because
no one has written one.

OTOH log4j isn't that complicated so using the free, short manual can
usually get you started.

--
James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/