Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/07/22 04:33:13 UTC

Fw: [CRIMSON] Crimson on JDK1.5

This seems (to me) the obvious outcome (although I had to ask).

Can anybody help me with why XERCES depends upon CRIMSON?

    http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/xml-crimson/xml-crimson/details.html
    http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/xml-crimson/xml-xerces/details.html

Is this an historical dependency? [Would that I had the resources to answer
my own questions, but then, I'd still rather get human insights to enhance
empirical.]

regards,

Adam
Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> > Is this an historical dependency? [Would that I had the resources to
answer
> > my own questions, but then, I'd still rather get human insights to
enhance
> > empirical.]
>
> Because I am evil?  ;-)

Yup, you clearly have a perverse enjoyment of purist nuances. ;-)

> Ant requires an XML parser.  Xerces 2 contained common code (or at least
> package names) with Xerces 1.  The Xerces team routinely used Xerces 1
> in their build environment in order to build Xerces 2.
>
> Every once in a while, and completely unbeknownst to the Xerces
> development team, Xerces 2 would become broken or incomplete, but they
> would not know it because some aspect of Xerces 1 would "bleed through"
> the build environment.
>
> Compiling with a non-Xerces compiler allowed such problems to be
identified.

Hmm, interesting, I see. So, since xerces 1 and crimson are 'hibernated',
and since both JDK 1.4 and 1.5 (the main two JDK levels we Gump upon) both
come with an XML parser, ought we simply remove the dependency and force
Gump metadata to be 1.4|1.5 bound? Hmm, I'd half hoped to set up a JDK 1.3
Gump on Brutus, so we can help folks with both (likely) ends of the scale.
Is it time to teach Gump metadata about JDK level, somehow?

Thoughts?

regards,

Adam

Re: Fw: [CRIMSON] Crimson on JDK1.5

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> This seems (to me) the obvious outcome (although I had to ask).
>
> Can anybody help me with why XERCES depends upon CRIMSON?
>
>     http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/xml-crimson/xml-crimson/details.html
>     http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/xml-crimson/xml-xerces/details.html
>
> Is this an historical dependency? [Would that I had the resources to answer
> my own questions, but then, I'd still rather get human insights to enhance
> empirical.]

Because I am evil?  ;-)

Ant requires an XML parser.  Xerces 2 contained common code (or at least
package names) with Xerces 1.  The Xerces team routinely used Xerces 1
in their build environment in order to build Xerces 2.

Every once in a while, and completely unbeknownst to the Xerces
development team, Xerces 2 would become broken or incomplete, but they
would not know it because some aspect of Xerces 1 would "bleed through"
the build environment.

Compiling with a non-Xerces compiler allowed such problems to be identified.

- Sam Ruby