Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by FTL Africa <ft...@mutare.icon.co.zw> on 2003/01/24 08:20:58 UTC

XINDICE AND XUPDATE, ANOTHER ONE

Greetings

I am a new user of the Xindice XML Database and I have installed version 1.0
on my Windows 2000 machine. I have also installed JDK 1.4.1 and Apache
1.3.27. I have been familiarizing myself with Xindice by working on the
examples given in the Developers Guide. Everything have been working fine
except when I use Xupdate.

On chapter 4, there is an example on "Using XUpdate to Modify the Database".
The example compiles well with javac but on running the program it gives the
following error message:

org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db.APIException:
IDL:org/apache/xindice/client/corba/db/APIException:1.0 at
org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db.APIExceptionHelper.read(APIExceptionHelpe
r.java:112) at
org.apache.xindice.client.corba.db._CollectionStub.queryCollection(_Collecti
onStub.java:833)
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.services.XUpdateQueryServiceImpl.updateResul
t(XUpdateQueryServiceImpl.java:165)
        at
org.apache.xindice.client.xmldb.services.XUpdateQueryServiceImpl.update(XUpd
ateQueryServiceImpl.java:185)
        at src.org.apache.xindice.examples.XUpdate.main(XUpdate.java:33)
XML:DB Exception occured 1 Query Processing Error

On Chapter 1 of the Developer's Guide on the section "Setting up Your Build
Environment" it states that
" To build applications for Xindice you must be using JDK 1.3. At this time
there appear to be problems with JDK 1.4. JDK 1.2 and below will not work at
all. ".

Thinking that it was the JDK version that was giving the problems I
installed JDK 1.3  and reinstalled Xindice and Tomcat and tried to work on
the program again. However I was still getting the same error message.

I just don't understand why updating (all XUpdate commands) the files do not
work. The error occurs when the program calls
service.update(xupdate);

When I intentionally try to update the wrong elements, the program runs and
outputs the error message "0 entries updated", which is right. However with
the correct elements the previously mentioned error occurs.

I tried using a specific resource with this call:
service.updateResource("address", xupdate);

However when I run the program it goes into an infinite loop whether
"address" is a valid file or not.

I have now gone back to JDK 1.4 and this are the setting I made on the
system:

CATALINA_HOME D:\Tomcat
CLASSPATH  .;
D:\xindice\java\lib\Xindice.jar;
D:\xindice\java\lib\xmldb.jar;
D:\xindice\java\lib\openorb-1.2.0.jar;
D:\xindice\java\lib\xerces-1.4.3.jar;
D:\xindice\java\lib\xalan-2.0.1.jar;
D:\xindice\java\lib\openorb_tools-1.2.0.jar;
D:\xindice\java\lib\xml-apis-1.0.jar;
D:\xindice\java\lib\xmldb-sdk.jar;
D:\xindice\java\lib\xmldb-xupdate.jar;
D:\Tomcat\common\lib\servlet.jar;
JAVA_HOME  D:\J2SDK1.4.1_01
PATH    D:\J2SDK1.4.1_01\BIN;
D:\xindice\bin;
   D:\Program Files\Common Files\WebGain Shared;
   D:\VisualCafeSE\Bin;
XINDICE_HOME  D:\xindice

Can you explain what's happening and how to rectify the problem?

Regards

D. Salima-Munetsi

Re: Xindice use different db setting, could it be possible?

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
Yes, it is possible.   Search the archives, there was a recent discussion
on how to set where the database is created.   There is a property
that needs to be set.   Or where ever you start Xindice, there is
where the db is created.

hth,

Mark

--
Mark J Stang
System Architect

Xindice use different db setting, could it be possible?