Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Michael McGrady <mi...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/17 14:18:26 UTC

[OT] Spring and Geronimo

My understanding is that Geronimo is a state-of-the-art somewhat
classic J2EE framework.  My understanding also is that Spring is a
somewhat different approach, moving away from Enterprise Java Beans.
If one is merely interested in JMS, is there any reason to prefer a
framework like Geronimo to Spring, given that my understanding is
correct?  If my understanding is not correct, would you please
straighten me out?  Thanks.

Michael McGrady

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Dain.  I am still waiting on the specs, so I am not sure.  All
there responses have been very helpful.

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Michael McGrady wrote:
> My understanding is that Geronimo is a state-of-the-art somewhat
> classic J2EE framework.  My understanding also is that Spring is a
> somewhat different approach, moving away from Enterprise Java Beans.
> If one is merely interested in JMS, is there any reason to prefer a
> framework like Geronimo to Spring, given that my understanding is
> correct?  If my understanding is not correct, would you please
> straighten me out?  Thanks.
>
> Michael McGrady

Michael,

Spring is not "moving away from Enterprise Java Beans".  That is a huge
misnomer.  Spring embraces J2EE, including EJBs as it has a complete API
to do so.  Spring is an API that is very useful and helpful to
developers throughout the J2EE arena and beyond.  So Spring can and
should be used with Geronimo, definately not as a replacement.

Jeff

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Geronimo is not meant to be a monolithic "classic J2EE framework" but
rather an architecture for implementing application frameworks. The
project really comprises three things:

* a core "micro-" kernel and runtime environment that provide the
   infrastructure for running services

* a set of useful system services such as transaction management
   or messaging

* pre-assembled collections of those services into specific
   application-level frameworks such as J2EE

We're not trying to define an application programming model such as
J2EE, Spring or others; we're building the low-level components that
those models need to run. As Sing says, these are complementary rather
than competitive - pick Spring, run it on Geronimo.

--
Jeremy

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Jun 17, 2005, at 8:31 AM, Michael McGrady wrote:

> Is Geronimo ready for prime time, like JBoss, or is that a while off?
> By the way, thanks for these helpful responses.  Very much
> appreciated.

It depends on what you are doing.  Geronimo is assembled mostly from
stable components with some new Geronimo code.  If you are mainly
doing a web application, then Geronimo is ready to go, since the web
server we use is either Jetty or Tomcat and they have been around for
ever.  On the the other hand, if you are doing web-services or corba,
you should give us a few more months.

> Also, does Geronimo like JBoss incorporate a web
> container/server like Tomcat or does Geronimo do it all?

We either use Jetty or Tomcat.

-dain

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
Oh man...well since we are plugging...

<super_duper_shamelessplug>

Support for Geronimo will can also come from

http://www.virtuas.com/commercial/

</super_duper_shamelessplug>

:D

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@gmail.com>.
I am sure that Jeremy was just joking but I do appreciate this honest
and business like assessment.  This gives me great confidence,
actually, in Geronimo.  I will follow the guidelines suggested here.

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Jun 17, 2005, at 6:23 AM, Thomas P. Fuller wrote:

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong --
>
> Michael,
>
> Geronimo has a microkernel style architecture and
> Spring is being used to wire together the core
> services.

That is true but only if you use the experimental spring assembly in
sandbox/spring-assembly.  The experimental spring assembly uses the
GBean kernel found at http://www.gbean.org  That kernel uses spring
to wire components together.  The normal Geronimo kernel has its own
wiring framework.

-dain

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by "Thomas P. Fuller" <th...@coherentlogic.com>.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong --

Michael,

Geronimo has a microkernel style architecture and
Spring is being used to wire together the core
services.

Thomas

Re: [OT] Spring and Geronimo

Posted by Sing Li <we...@yahoo.com>.