Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Struts-dev Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" <st...@basebeans.com> on 2002/04/02 21:25:01 UTC

Servlet 2.3 filter

Subject: Servlet 2.3 filter
From: Vic Cekvenich <vi...@basebeans.com>
 ===
Most containers now are Servlet 2.3 compliant, and there are questions
on user lists on filters with Action.
So a non comitter request to make action a filter and Struts Servlet 2.3
bound. (a question asked at JavaOne at Struts SIG)

Vic

Re: Servlet 2.3 filter

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Struts-dev Newsgroup wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:25:01 -0800
> From: Struts-dev Newsgroup <st...@basebeans.com>
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Servlet 2.3 filter
>
> Subject: Servlet 2.3 filter
> From: Vic Cekvenich <vi...@basebeans.com>
>  ===
> Most containers now are Servlet 2.3 compliant, and there are questions
> on user lists on filters with Action.
> So a non comitter request to make action a filter and Struts Servlet 2.3
> bound. (a question asked at JavaOne at Struts SIG)

Those of you at the Struts BOF will recall that we did a poll of those
present (several hundred folks).  Over half those who answered were
running systems based on Servlet 2.2 (and/or J2EE 1.2), and those people
would not be able to use Struts if it required Servlet 2.3.

My takeaway from this was that, for the next few months at least, it's a
little premature to talk about requiring Servlet 2.3 in a production
release of Struts.  However, it might well be time to start talking about
a "Struts 2.0" that is based on this, plus letting us take advantage of
other 2.3-based things like the JSP Standard Tag Library and JavaServer
Faces when they are released.

> Vic

Craig