Posted to announce@apache.org by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org> on 2021/01/02 20:39:24 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Guacamole 1.3.0

The Apache Guacamole community is proud to announce the release of
Apache Guacamole 1.3.0.

Apache Guacamole is a clientless remote desktop gateway which supports
standard protocols like VNC, RDP, and SSH. We call it "clientless"
because no plugins or client software are required; once Guacamole is
installed on a server, all you need to access your desktops is a web
browser.

The 1.3.0 release features support for automatically prompting users
for their remote desktop credentials, user group support for both CAS
and OpenID, and several bug fixes.

A full list of the changes in this release, along with links to
downloads and updated documentation, can be found in the release
notes:

http://guacamole.apache.org/releases/1.3.0/

For more information on Apache Guacamole, please see:

http://guacamole.apache.org/

Thanks and Happy New Year!

The Apache Guacamole Community

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Guacamole 1.3.0

Posted by David Barber <md...@aol.com.INVALID>.
Mike Jumper wrote:
> The Apache Guacamole community is proud to announce the release of
> Apache Guacamole 1.3.0.
>
> Apache Guacamole is a clientless remote desktop gateway which supports
> standard protocols like VNC, RDP, and SSH. We call it "clientless"
> because no plugins or client software are required; once Guacamole is
> installed on a server, all you need to access your desktops is a web
> browser.
>
> The 1.3.0 release features support for automatically prompting users
> for their remote desktop credentials, user group support for both CAS
> and OpenID, and several bug fixes.
>
> A full list of the changes in this release, along with links to
> downloads and updated documentation, can be found in the release
> notes:
>
> http://guacamole.apache.org/releases/1.3.0/
>
> For more information on Apache Guacamole, please see:
>
> http://guacamole.apache.org/
>
> Thanks and Happy New Year!
>
> The Apache Guacamole Community

Amazing work guys and sterling timing,ďż˝ many thanks and hope you guys
have a great new year!

--
Regards
David Barber

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Guacamole 1.3.0

Posted by LuKaRo <li...@lrose.de>.
On 1/2/21 9:39 PM, Mike Jumper wrote:
> The Apache Guacamole community is proud to announce the release of
> Apache Guacamole 1.3.0.
>
> The 1.3.0 release features support for automatically prompting users
> for their remote desktop credentials, user group support for both CAS
> and OpenID, and several bug fixes.

Awesome! Interactively asking for passwords without having to store them
in the connection profiles for RDP servers that don't login
interactively was exactly the feature I was waiting for! Thanks for your
great work and all the effort put in this project! I'll try to update my
ansible deployment and see how that goes next week :)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Guacamole 1.3.0

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 1:11 PM Antony Awaida <an...@apporto.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike:
>
> Thank you for your email and BTW, happy new year.
>
> Wondering what is the difference between having Guac prompting for
> credentials and the "old" approach of having RDS prompt for credentials?
>
> It would seem that the second approach is more secure.

(Going forward, please start a separate thread if you have a question, and
please do not reply-all to a release announcement that goes across multiple
lists. Please instead start a new thread on a single list, presumably user@
.)

No, as far as Guacamole is concerned, neither approach is more secure than
the other. They are two ways of accomplishing the same thing: Guacamole
passing credentials to the remote desktop. On the remote desktop side,
there are advantages to not using the "old" approach and instead using
something like NLA, as it avoids devoting remote desktop resources for just
a login screen.

The new functionality fills a gap in the remote desktop feature
set provided by the web application, and is the equivalent to the expected
behavior when you connect with a native client to a remote desktop
requiring NLA and you see a local prompt for credentials.

- Mike

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Guacamole 1.3.0

Posted by Antony Awaida <an...@apporto.com>.
Hi Mike:

Thank you for your email and BTW, happy new year.

Wondering what is the difference between having Guac prompting for
credentials and the "old" approach of having RDS prompt for credentials?

It would seem that the second approach is more secure.

Regards,
Antony Awaida

ᐧ