Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/21 18:54:13 UTC

"Meta" contributions and files

What is the right destination for handling, for lack of better phrasing
meta-source/contributions?

This was broached briefly with the site design, but that found a home,
appropriately with the main repository at the top level.  With the talk of
configuration for editors as we strive towards a consistent code style and
some work I've been doing with Docker to support NiFi, where do these items
reside?

Based on my experiences and what I have witnessed on other projects, a
contrib folder in the repository seems to be how this is classically
handled; you do not need these items, but they may be helpful.  Seems like
an appropriate fit, with some subdirectories that group these by intent to
avoid it becoming a dumping ground.  Any additional thoughts or suggestions
on how we can best incorporate these in a sane and organized fashion?

Re: "Meta" contributions and files

Posted by Aldrin Piri <al...@gmail.com>.
Well, there isn't anything overly consistent, but here are some examples I
found that provide similar utilities and files.

Accumulo has a contrib folder that they actually store style configuration
files [1].

Aurora includes Vagrant files in the root of the repo [2].

Spark has a docker folder [3] as well as an external folder.

Mesos has a support folder used for operations in handling releases and
style [4] and a Dockerfile in the source root

Thrift has a contrib folder [5].

Stratos has a tools folder [6].

[1] https://github.com/apache/accumulo
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-aurora