Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by frame <xs...@yahoo.com> on 2013/02/21 17:19:51 UTC

is that possible the same code under two different subversion service provider?

Hi:

Suppose our project tree look like:

project/aaa
project/bbb

Currrently, the whole project tree is under subversion control provided by
company A. In the same time, I also want to put the sub directory
project/aaa under subversion control provided by company B. The reason for
doing that is somebody abroad is cooperating with us and his work is in
project/aaa. He does not have the access to the company A's repo. He can
access company B's repo. So is there a way to let project/aaa under two
different subversion? When he changes the code inside project/aaa, he
checks in to company B's central repository, I pull out his change from
company B to my local area. Then I check in his code change into company
A's repo on behalf of him. Is this doable?

Thank you.

Re: is that possible the same code under two different subversion service provider?

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM, frame <xs...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> With this approach you loose history of new developments of
>> project/aaa and depend on company B with everything you are doing with
>> project/aaa and which is not already checked out somewhere, because
>> you don't merge any code back into your own repo. It's something which
>> I would consider really carefully.
>>
> Sorry, I don't quite understand what you said. Why will I loose the history
> of new developments of project/aaa? If I modify something in project/aaa and
> I check in, which will be in company B's repo. My partner abroad who only
> cares about project/aaa runs "svn update", he will pull out my change to his
> local area, together with the history. If he makes changes and check in his
> change(to company B's repo), I run "svn update" at the level of project/, I
> will get his new code(in aaa/) together with new code in bbb/ which is from
> company A's repo. I should be able to see his commit hisotry, right?
> I thought this is one of the ideal scenarios exploiting the power of svn
> externals definition.

Do you have write access to the company B repo?  If so and you need to
modify that part of the code, externals will do what you want - just
note that commits don't automatically recurse into parts pulled in via
externals, you have to commit them explicitly.   The 'vendor branch'
approach is for where you don't have write access and only get
periodic snapshots but want to make it look like a real history.   You
can use externals even with just read access to other repositories,
but then you can't commit back directly - but you might be able to
ship patches to someone with commit access.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: is that possible the same code under two different subversion service provider?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag frame,
am Freitag, 22. Februar 2013 um 17:33 schrieben Sie:

> I should be able to see his commit hisotry, right?
> I thought this is one of the ideal scenarios exploiting the power of svn externals definition.

Of course this will work, I just wanted to mention that using a vendor
branch you get commits/code/history/whatever in your own repo and
don't depend on anyone anymore after you committed, while using
svn:externals you are dependant on company B for each access to
project/aaa involving svn. That's not necessarily a problem for you,
just something to consider in case of technical problems in company
B's network, they feel they don't like you anymore or whatever.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: is that possible the same code under two different subversion service provider?

Posted by frame <xs...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag frame,
am Freitag, 22. Februar 2013 um 16:07 schrieben Sie:

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 02/22/2013 10:07 AM, frame wrote:
> Thank you for all the replies and the link.
>
> Actually, I have just finished reading carefully the "externals definition"
> section of the book from top to the bottom. I think "externals definition"
> is the answer to our needs. Sorry, I didn't study "Vendor Branch" section.
>
> I am planning to put project/aaa/ in company B's repositoty, which the
> partner can access. Then in the main tree, hosted in company A's repository,
> at project directory level, I set the property of externals definition to
> point to www.companyB.com/aaa_repo

Cool.  The externals definition feature didn't even cross my mind, but yeah,
I think that would suit you well.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development

Re: is that possible the same code under two different subversion service provider?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 02/21/2013 01:15 PM, Thorsten Schöning wrote:
> Guten Tag frame,
> am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 um 17:19 schrieben Sie:
>
>> Suppose our project tree look like:
>
>> project/aaa
>> project/bbb
>
>> Currrently, the whole project tree is under subversion control
>> provided by company A. In the same time, I also want to put the sub
>> directory project/aaa under subversion control provided by company
>> B. The reason for doing that is somebody abroad is cooperating with
>> us and his work is in project/aaa. He does not have the access to
>> the company A's repo. He can access company B's repo. So is there a
>> way to let project/aaa under two different subversion? When he
>> changes the code inside project/aaa, he checks in to company B's
>> central repository, I pull out his change from company B to my local
>> area. Then I check in his code change into company A's repo on behalf of him. Is this doable?
>
> Sounds like a vendor branch to me, where the source of the branch was
> a dumped part of your repo, imported into the other. But afterwards
> everything else should fit vendor branch best practice.
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html

I was thinking the same thing, though I wouldn't bother with the dump/load
initializing step -- a history-free export/import should be sufficient.

Note that I recently rewrote that section of the book a bit (I never really
liked what I'd come up with in earlier book versions).  You can see the
nightly build version of that information at:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html

(Feedback about the book should go to svnbook-dev@red-bean.com, though, not
to this list.)

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag frame,
am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 um 17:19 schrieben Sie:

> Suppose our project tree look like:

> project/aaa
> project/bbb

> Currrently, the whole project tree is under subversion control
> provided by company A. In the same time, I also want to put the sub
> directory project/aaa under subversion control provided by company
> B. The reason for doing that is somebody abroad is cooperating with
> us and his work is in project/aaa. He does not have the access to
> the company A's repo. He can access company B's repo. So is there a
> way to let project/aaa under two different subversion? When he
> changes the code inside project/aaa, he checks in to company B's
> central repository, I pull out his change from company B to my local
> area. Then I check in his code change into company A's repo on behalf of him. Is this doable?

Sounds like a vendor branch to me, where the source of the branch was
a dumped part of your repo, imported into the other. But afterwards
everything else should fit vendor branch best practice.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.advanced.vendorbr.html

Just as an idea: Did you have a look at things like git2svn etc.?
Your cooperator with access to company B could simply work on it's
own repo, implemented with git or whatever, and you could import the
changes he made into your repo like a vendor branch again, just using
git2svn or else. Id don't think its necessary that your cooperator
commits into another subversion repo.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning