Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/02 00:22:47 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Project Roadmap

Hi Matthias,

I agree about the JIRA situation. I am writing notes in a notebook to keep
track of what I am working on. I was hopeful that Alan's comment from Dec
17th would help with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-10714. If
the missing fields can't be imported automatically, perhaps we can manually
update the missing fields and move forward.

As for specific algorithms, I'm not well-versed enough in the ML field to
make worthwhile suggestions without significant research, but I can think
of some qualities that I would look for in candidate algorithms:

* Is there a strong demand/need for the algorithm? For example, in a very
general sense, if a Google search is done for the algorithm, do we get back
10 hits or 10 million hits? Of course, in the case of a novel algorithm, no
results would be returned because the world doesn't even know that it needs
this algorithm yet.

* How much effort is required for the algorithm implementation? 10 lines of
DML vs 1000 lines of DML makes a huge difference.

* Does a high-performance, scalable version already exist, such as in Spark
MLlib? If a great implementation already exists, perhaps another algorithm
should be chosen, unless a strong need is seen for customizability of that
algorithm.

* Is an algorithm so ubiquitous that a toolkit of DML algorithms would seem
incomplete without it?

* Does an open-source R implementation already exist? If so, it could serve
as a useful starting point to a DML implementation for distributed
computing.

* Personally, this interests me... Does the algorithm solve an interesting
problem that generates results that can be presented in a way that has
sensory impact? This is a "wow" factor. Imagine presenting results at a
conference and having the audience murmur because they're impressed.
Pictures and graphs make a compelling case.
 (1) For example, think about something like facial recognition. What if an
algorithm is used in applications that let you do the following queries:
     Find pictures of me.
     Find pictures of people that look like me.
     Where do I look most similar to people on the planet?
     If I exercise, what will I look like in 20 years?
     How old do I currently look?
     What historical figure do I look most like?
     What movie character do I look most like?
  To me, answers to questions like these have a certain "wow" about them
because of the visuals that can be tied to them.
 (2) As another example, I saw Fred do a presentation regarding Poisson
Nonnegative Matrix Factorization and thought the graphical presentation of
the results were amazing and compelling. His graphs conveyed both the
accuracy and scalability of the DML algorithm, in addition to SystemML's
customizability applied to a real-world business case. It also showcased
the power of DML utilizing a very compact piece of code.

Deron

Re: [DISCUSS] Project Roadmap

Posted by Matthias Boehm <mb...@us.ibm.com>.
just FYI: meanwhile, we created the JIRA epics and related tasks for the
major compiler/runtime features of our 2016 roadmap (see below). In the
next couple of weeks, we will complete the detailed descriptions and also
add the remaining language/api/documentation features.

[SYSTEMML-377] Different types of sparse matrix blocks
[SYSTEMML-384] Boolean matrices and operations
[SYSTEMML-392] Extended multi-threaded operations
[SYSTEMML-401] Support for large dense matrix blocks >16GB
[SYSTEMML-406] NUMA-aware single-node backend
[SYSTEMML-409] Extended update in-place support
[SYSTEMML-412] Matrix block library
[SYSTEMML-416] Cost model enhancements
[SYSTEMML-421] Global program optimization
[SYSTEMML-429] Extended static/dynamic rewrites
[SYSTEMML-435] New language features / builtin functions
[SYSTEMML-439] New vector set operations
[SYSTEMML-445] GPU support / low-level optimizations
[SYSTEMML-450] Extended spark interfaces

Regards,
Matthias

From:	Matthias Boehm/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	01/01/2016 03:40 PM
Subject:	Re: [DISCUSS] Project Roadmap

thanks for the comments Deron. The note on additional algorithms, however,
was meant as a reminder for everybody on the project.

Regards,
Matthias

Deron Eriksson ---01/01/2016 03:23:05 PM---Hi Matthias, I agree about the
JIRA situation. I am writing notes in a notebook to keep

From: Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
To: dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date: 01/01/2016 03:23 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Project Roadmap