Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Kostas Christidis <ko...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/21 16:17:04 UTC

What happens to a partition leader whose connection to ZK breaks?

Does it stop acting as the leader (i.e. stop serving produce and fetch
requests) returning the "not a leader for partition" exception? Or
does it keep thinking it's the leader?

If it's the latter, any connected consumers that wait for new requests
on that replica will do so in vain. Since the cluster controller will
elect a new partition leader, this particular replica will become
stale.

I would expect this node to do the former, but I'd like to check to
make sure. (I understand it's an edge case, and maybe not a realistic
one at that, but still.)

Thanks,
Kostas