Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Pei Chen <ch...@apache.org> on 2013/09/03 23:12:14 UTC

[DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache cTAKES Sept 2013

[DRAFT]
Apache cTAKES (clinical Text Analysis and Knowledge Extraction System) is a
natural language processing (NLP) tool for information extraction from
electronic medical record clinical free-text.

Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

Releases:
Last release was created on 2013-09-06 (ctakes-3.1.0) <pending rc3 vote>

Development:
During the last quarter, the committee released 3.1.0 of cTAKES.
The committee is actively working and planning for the future release 3.2.
Some of the planned code changes include:
- New Dependency Parser/Semantic Role Labeler
- New optional Clear-Based Parts Of Speech Tagger
- New Standardized Clinical Element Model Instance Template population
- New regression testing component
- Various bug fixes and code enhancements tracked Jira

Community:
We have added John Green as a committer and PMC member since last report.
dev mailing list subscribers count: 81 (+13 since last report)
user mailing list subscribers count: 69 (+11 since last report)

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache cTAKES Sept 2013

Posted by Pei Chen <ch...@apache.org>.
> Is the new dep parser/SRL a new model? Or was that sentence a copy/paste

> error?

It's a copy and paste error.  Feel free to update it to reflect the recent
release.

 > I suggest we have a 3.1.1 release to roll in any simple bug fixes that
don't

> require much doc change at all.

I think that's a good idea.  Feel free to rename the pom's.xml in trunk to
reflect the {placeholder} name.

> That will make 3.2.0 easier to release. And also provide earlier fixes to
folks.

> I also suggest having a .1 release be our typical release model - a .1
release

> for bug fixes.

The name of the future release is just a {placeholder} in the pom.xml, the
actual name gets created when the RM cuts the release/branch based on the
changes.  I think cutting release should be much smoother now and we'll
probably release more often, I agree, I think we can default the name of
future release to be also an increments of a patch.

> I see advantages to having a new release manager for any .1 release, but
also

> see that for efficiency sake, it would be good to have the release manager

> for a .0 and a .1 be the same.

>  I am willing to be release manager for a 3.1.1 release.

Thanks!  No objections or preferences-  As long as someone steps up and is
willing to do it :)..

--Pei

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
Is the new dep parser/SRL a new model? Or was that sentence a copy/paste error?

I think the following line should be removed
- New Standardized Clinical Element Model Instance Template population

And instead of new regression testing component, it should be 'enhance the regression testing component'

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
My suggestions are incorporated below

Apache cTAKES (clinical Text Analysis and Knowledge Extraction System)
is a natural language processing (NLP) tool for information extraction
from electronic medical record clinical free-text.

Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

Releases:
Last release was created on 2013-08-30 (ctakes-3.1.0).
VOTE was successful, anticipate release to mirrors 2013-09-05.

Development:
During the last quarter, the committee released 3.1.0 of Apache cTAKES.
The committee is actively working and planning for the future release 3.2,
as well as anticipating creating a bug-fix-only 3.1.1 release.

Some of the planned code changes for 3.2.0 include:
- Enhanced regression testing component
- New temporal relations component
- New medications extraction component
- Various bug fixes and code enhancements tracked by Jira