Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2022/04/10 19:19:25 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Feel the (new) breeze

Hey everyone,

Feel the (new) breeze - written in Python.

I have **just** merged a PR that marks a completion of the most important
stage of the work that Bowrna and Edith (our interns from Outreachy) have
completed - with myself, Elad and Nasser mentoring them. Big claps to
them!! That was quite an internship :).

It also marks the beginning of a new era of a Bash-less (or Bash-low) dev
environment for Airflow. If you've used Breeze before, you will get mostly
the same things you are used to - but it is written in Python rather than
in Bash.

There are many reasons we moved, I will not get into details (see below if
you want to know all the context). Vast majority of "user" functionality is
ported to new Breeze (with small differences but you will likely find it
easy to switch). The UI is soooo much nicer (see screenshots in
https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/main/BREEZE.rst). Also we kept the
`./breeze-legacy` script and for now it continues to work the same as old
Breeze - so you can use it for a while if things do not work
(`./breeze-legacy` and breeze work in parallel).

We will gradually remove Bash code as we get confirmation that Python works
for you.

There are some prerequisites that you need to follow (install pipx and
setup breeze + autocomplete). But there are generally less than the old
breeze, really.

* https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/main/BREEZE.rst#the-pipx-tool
* https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/main/BREEZE.rst#installation

Important - after you install the new breeze completely, you no longer need
to run `./breeze`. Just `breeze` is enough. The `./breeze` script should
continue to work for a while, but we will eventually remove it too.

Please let us know at #airflow-breeze channel in slack if you have any
problems. Any questions/comments are welcome. There will likely be some
teething problems.... But remember ./breeze-legacy is there for you just in
case something does not work (and it should work seamlessly alongside the
new breeze).

Also there are quite a few tasks left in the project
https://github.com/apache/airflow/projects/13 that we will be completing -
feel free to comment and take any of the tasks left. We will be happy to
help to jump-start it.

For those who are interested - the reasoning and all design decisions are
kept here: https://github.com/apache/airflow/tree/main/dev/breeze/doc/adr
in the form of "Architecture Decision Records".

Once again - great job Bowrna, Edith!

J.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Feel the (new) breeze

Posted by Daniel Standish <da...@astronomer.io.INVALID>.
very cool 👏

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Feel the (new) breeze

Posted by Nasser Kaze <ka...@gmail.com>.
This is awesome. Keep up the good work Edith and Bowrna.

Posted by Elad Kalif <el...@apache.org>.
Great work Bowrna and Edith!

Posted by Rafal Biegacz <ra...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
Very well done Bowrna and Edith and all the mentors 🎉

Posted by "Ferruzzi, Dennis" <fe...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
Very cool.  Can't wait to play around with it.  Congrats and thanks to Bowrna, Edith, and their mentoring team!