Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Brian Cho <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/06 11:38:00 UTC

Apology for the spam, don’t close issues, and JIRA bulk edit

Hi,

As part of the job of Release Manager, I went through JIRA and changed all
“Fix Version/s” to 0.12. This lets us generate the release notes [1].
However, this didn’t go as cleanly as I wished. Some observations:

1. I’m sorry about the amount spam generated. Not only is it annoying, but
it buries real work :(

2. We should make a policy of not closing issues before a release. In state
“closed” the fix version can’t be changed. The issues have to be re-opened
to do that. It’s annoying and it also ends up changing the resolution date.
So we now have a bunch of issues that were resolved a few minutes ago :(

3. JIRA *does* have bulk edit under “Tools”. It’s not all that intuitive
though. If any one of the selected edits doesn’t apply, it gives an error
[2]. This caught me because I didn’t know about 2 yet, so I assumed we just
couldn’t bulk edit. I did a lot of manual clicking before I figured out
that it does indeed work.

Again, I apologize for the spam interrupting everyone’s workflow!

Thanks,
Brian

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315820&version=12332143

[2] "NOTE: You do not have permission to edit the selected 1 issues or at
least one issue has a status that forbids editing."

Re: Apology for the spam, don’t close issues, and JIRA bulk edit

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Brian.

Can we use "Resolved" all the time?
Is there any incentive to use "Closed"?

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Apology for the spam, don’t close issues, and JIRA bulk edit

Posted by Brian Cho <ch...@gmail.com>.
Markus, Julia:

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.