Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2005/06/29 15:12:18 UTC

increasing session timeout to 30min

Nele Vogel wrote:

>> I haven't tried this in Lenya, but normally you would add something like
>>   <session-config>
>>     <session-timeout>25</session-timeout>
>>   </session-config>
>>
>> to your WEB-INF/web.xml, right after the <servlet-mapping> entries
>>
>> The timeout is specified in minutes, I think 10 is the default.
>
> Your approach seems to solve the problem! I set the timeout to 30
> Minutes and now it works.

maybe we should increase the default from 10min to 30min?

here is my +1

Re: increasing session timeout to 30min

Posted by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu>.
On Jun 29, 2005, at 9:12 AM, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Nele Vogel wrote:
>
>>> I haven't tried this in Lenya, but normally you would add something
>>> like
>>>   <session-config>
>>>     <session-timeout>25</session-timeout>
>>>   </session-config>
>>>
>>> to your WEB-INF/web.xml, right after the <servlet-mapping> entries
>>>
>>> The timeout is specified in minutes, I think 10 is the default.
>> Your approach seems to solve the problem! I set the timeout to 30
>> Minutes and now it works.
>
> maybe we should increase the default from 10min to 30min?
>
> here is my +1

I'm not allowed to vote, but this would be nice, please.  When we first
launched Lenya, people complained they were being kicked out after
adding content to their page for longer than 10 minutes.  30 minutes
seems like a nice compromise.

Jon

Re: increasing session timeout to 30min

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss schrieb:
> Nele Vogel wrote:
>
>>> I haven't tried this in Lenya, but normally you would add something like
>>>   <session-config>
>>>     <session-timeout>25</session-timeout>
>>>   </session-config>
>>>
>>> to your WEB-INF/web.xml, right after the <servlet-mapping> entries
>>>
>>> The timeout is specified in minutes, I think 10 is the default.
>>

>> Your approach seems to solve the problem! I set the timeout to 30
>> Minutes and now it works.
>

> maybe we should increase the default from 10min to 30min?
>
> here is my +1

The default is indeed relatively low; probably to reduce resource usage.
Site maintainers should be aware that increasing the timeout will
increase server load (especially memory usage).

Still, +1 to increase the default in the Lenya distribution.

--
Wolfgang

Re: increasing session timeout to 30min

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.

Josias Thoeny wrote:
> Or make it configurable via build.properties?
> The build-process could write the specified value into the web.xml.
> I think many people would like to adapt the session timeout to their
> needs.
>
> Josias

+1  Set it to 30min but make the setting noticeable in the lenya setup.

Re: increasing session timeout to 30min

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Josias Thoeny wrote:

> > > Your approach seems to solve the problem! I set the timeout to 30
> > > Minutes and now it works.
> >
> > maybe we should increase the default from 10min to 30min?
>
> Or make it configurable via build.properties?
> The build-process could write the specified value into the web.xml.
> I think many people would like to adapt the session timeout to their
> needs.

+1 30 min is ok; make it configurable is even better :-)

Jann

Re: increasing session timeout to 30min

Posted by Josias Thoeny <jo...@wyona.com>.