Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Giovanni Novelli <gi...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/05 19:30:18 UTC

Re: PHP-Lucene Integration

As Lucene native language is Java it should be more natural to access its
functionalities through JSP; anyway the idea of accessing Lucene
functionalities seems interesting as PHP is perhaps most widely deployed
server side scripting language.
I think that the way to provide access to Lucene API in PHP development
should be more general and clean as possible, so in my opinion the natural
way should be based on a single layer that interoperates with Lucene API: an
Apache module. Then should be needed a PHP API to call such module from PHP.

Having an Apache module for Lucene as a component of Lucene project should
allow the spread of Lucene not only in PHP development arena.

Re: PHP-Lucene Integration

Posted by Andi Vajda <an...@osafoundation.org>.
As an alternative, you could also take the approach taken for PyLucene:
compile the Java code with GCJ and generate bindings for Python with SWIG.
SWIG supports a number of languages in addition to Python such as Ruby, PHP,
Perl, and a bunch more.

For more information, see:
   http://pylucene.osafoundation.org
   http://www.python.org/pycon/2005/papers/27/paper.txt
   http://www.swig.org
   http://gcc.gnu.org/java

As a matter of fact, a team of people is working on such a construction for
Ruby at the moment.

Andi..