Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Zwer <zw...@ukr.net> on 2013/12/10 18:04:14 UTC

Call to Solr via TCP

Hi Guys,

I am hosting Solr in Jetty servlet container and just would like to know
whether exists some way to communicate with Solr through TCP protocol, not
HTTP?

Thanks for the responses.

Re: Call to Solr via TCP

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Zwer,

I think it may be a bit dangerous as jetty may start to do some connection management and expect the client to do so.
However, if you look into http/1.0 you have a little chance that doing simple http calls is as simple as socket connections.

What could be the reason not to use a decent http client library? There's so many out there.

paul

Re: Call to Solr via TCP

Posted by Patanachai Tangchaisin <pa...@wizecommerce.com>.
I think it is not possible since Jetty is a HTTP server except jetty is
extensible to support other protocol, that is not a derivation of HTTP
(it supports SPDY, WebSocket).

However, what we do, is putting another layer on top of Solr. Our client
does not directly connect to our Solr, but through some RPC layer.

On 12/10/2013 09:15 AM, Zwer wrote:
> Maybe I asked incorrectly.
>

> Solr is Web Application, hosted by some servlet container and is reachable
> via HTTP.
>
> HTTP is an extension of TCP and I would like to know whether exists some
> lower way to communicate with application (i.e. Solr) hosted by Jetty?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
======================
This email message and any attachments are for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message along with any attachments, from your computer system. If you are the intended recipient, please be advised that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by the sender's Email System Administrator.

Re: Call to Solr via TCP

Re: Call to Solr via TCP

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I am hosting Solr in Jetty servlet container and just would like to know
: whether exists some way to communicate with Solr through TCP protocol, not
: HTTP?

HTTP ites on top of TCP, so your question doens't
really make much sense to me.  Please elaborate on your specific
goal/problem, because I smell a lot of confusion somewhere...

https://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem
XY Problem

Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
with "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
without giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
full issue.  Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
See Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Call to Solr via TCP