Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2006/03/28 17:00:27 UTC

JS Libraries (was Re: [WebWork2] TODO)

>I had very bad experiences with Dojo so far, and I brought this into
>discussion on ww forums. I wouldn't encourage moving to Dojo, because the
>browser support is still lacking, and from the feeling we got from their ml
>some of the old browsers, that are still used (f.e. IE 5.5) will be  missing
>in the next versions.

If you believe http://thecounter.com/stats/2006/March/browser.php, IE
5.5 only has 2% market share.  I wouldn't blame a project for not
spending a large amount of resources supporting that.

That said, I think we should try to keep the JS libraries as
pluggable as possible.  But maybe it's impossible to bundle valuable
features and still do that -- I was really surprised at how many
dependencies Webwork accepted, and I'm still trying to work out for
myself whether that's better in the long run.  I think the Struts
community philosophy was very conservative about that, but it may do
us well to challenge that philosophy.

Still, having roots in that philosophy, again my inclination is to
try to be more library agnostic.  Can that work?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska

"You really can't burn anything out by trying something new, and
even if you can burn it out, it can be fixed.  Try something new."
	-- Robert Moog

Re: JS Libraries (was Re: [WebWork2] TODO)

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.

Martin Cooper wrote:

>On 3/28/06, Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com> wrote:
>

>>Alex - I definately agree with you, somewhat ;) - if this is a simple
>>calendar,
>>or other lightweight widget there is no need to involve an ajax library
>>download.  *Any* ajax library download.  But I do think there is a need
>>for an
>>ajax theme when the user is ready to use one.  So how do we deferentiate
>>between these?
>>
>>Joe - I think the UI tags are very library agnostic.  It was reasonably
>>simple
>>to add in the dojo support once we had the <ww:a .../>, <ww:div .../>
>>etc. tags
>>in place.  Dojo just happened to be the initial implementation.  We could
>>definately outline what the core components are (JS widget and ajax
>>widget) and
>>the attributes and functionality that is expected from a tag API
>>standpoint, and
>>then have different implementations of the tag themes for
>>implementation.
>>

>The question here is whether the developer should pick one toolkit and run
>with it, or should be able to pick different widgets that come from
>different toolkits. Most people seem to want to do the latter, but that is
>highly problematic. For one thing, few random combinations of DHTML toolkits
>will work together properly. For another, the browser will end up
>downloading and evaluating much more code than is really necessary,
>impacting performance.

I would definitely agree with you - try to keep within UI theme
boundaries whenever possible, especially when using ajax themes.

>Additionally, when talking about this last month (or
>

>>was it longer now?) we
>>(Ranier, Rene, Alex and  Mike) were all thinking in the same vein.  One
>>thing
>>that we wanted to add was an action/inteface that returned JSON so that
>>any
>>ajax implementation could use the same server implementation to provide
>>list
>>data.
>>

>Yes, a JSON serialiser would be A Good Thing (tm) to have. The hard part,
>though, is getting people to agree on what you encode in JSON and how. ;-)
>Without that, you don't have interoperability.

Perhaps I should have explained a little better.  The action / interface
that was proposed was something like:

    List getData();

So, the information in the list would be highly dependent on the feature
being developed.  Thus, we could use the attribute names and values (and
possibly walking into more complex values in a similar nature).  As the
data is dependent on the feature, and the developer will most likely be
working on the action and the view, I think we would be ok.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
[...]

implementation. Additionally, when talking about this last month (or

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/28/06, Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/28/06, Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would prefere something small and working almost everywhere. We have
> even
> > been thinking to add a new AJAX theme based on lighter solutions (a la
> > prototype).
>
> Heh, and I considered Prototype too heavy (around 50K) to adopt for my
> project...

Prototype's heaviness is in its feet - it will quite happily stomp all over
any other JavaScript code you have on the page. It's really a very badly
behaved chunk of code.

--
Martin Cooper

Michael.

Re: JS Libraries (was Re: [WebWork2] TODO)

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 3/28/06, Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe, I mostly agree with you. What I've been trying to say is that most of
> the user will not like to have a big dependency on Dojo  for simple
> functionality like a calendar component.

The "size" of the dependency on Dojo is _completely_ up to you. Unlike the
other DHTML toolkits out there, you can very easily build a custom profile
that includes only what you need, and almost none of the code you don't
need.

The minimal profile of Dojo is very small. Right now, it looks like WW uses
the kitchen sink profile, which is pretty much everything Dojo has. I can
understand why you would not want to load all of that for just a calendar.
But you don't have to. That is the beauty of the Dojo profile system.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Alexandru Popescu <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/12/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> (Yeah, I'm very late catching up...)
>
> On 3/28/06, Joe Germuska <Jo...@germuska.com> wrote:
>
> > >I had very bad experiences with Dojo so far, and I brought this into
> > >discussion on ww forums. I wouldn't encourage moving to Dojo, because
> > the
> > >browser support is still lacking, and from the feeling we got from
> > their ml
> > >some of the old browsers, that are still used (f.e. IE 5.5) will
> > be  missing
> > >in the next versions.
> >
> > If you believe http://thecounter.com/stats/2006/March/browser.php , IE
> > 5.5 only has 2% market share.  I wouldn't blame a project for not
> > spending a large amount of resources supporting that.
>

> It's not just lack of market share. IE 5.5 has some serious deficiencies
> when it comes to DHTML and DOM manipulation. So the question becomes one of
> how much effort do you want to put in to support a minimally used browser,
> and negatively impact performance on more modern browsers at the same time.
> IMHO, the Dojo folks made the right decision.

Important Correction: I mis-spoke here. It's not IE 5.5 that has the
problems, it's IE 5.0. And even more importantly, Dojo *does* support IE 5.5,
but does not support IE 5.0. So if anyone has been having issues with Dojo
and IE 5.5, be sure to submit bug reports via Trac, and they'll be
addressed.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
I have some other things going on over the next few weeks that will mesh
nicely with documenting how to do this.

/Ian

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.