Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2009/09/14 04:26:58 UTC

Discussion about Hamburg (provisional name) open sourcing

Hello communities,

I'm the one of the Hamburg (provisional name), which is the graph
computing framework on Hadoop sponsor. Now we're working on the
perfection of our prototype project, and we'll propose the Hamburg
project soon.

- http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hamburg, a wiki page
- http://throb.googlecode.com/, a prototype project

BTW, before we decide to propose, we need time just to consider where
it belongs to.

Since it aims to create a "general graph computing framework" on
Hadoop, I'd like to propose it as a sub-project of Hadoop. On the
other hand, since the matrix and graph are both in the domain of
scientific computing and BSP model could be used for matrix
computation areas, I think this project also can be integrated with
the Hama project.

WDYT? Any advices are welcome.

edwardyoon@apache.org
http://blog.udanax.org

Re: Discussion about Hamburg (provisional name) open sourcing

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <c0...@gmail.com>.
Now, hbase is necessary for the storage system of hama. However, hbase
has inherent limits about that it provides only horizontal
partitioning of matrix. For the best performance, Hama needs both
horizontal-vertical partitioning and replications (like cube). It can
be implemented by some specific file structure on HDFS. Of course,
matrix computation still will use MR.

I think that ultimately hama should go for that way. Therefore, it
would be better that hama is independent to the specific storage
system.

--
Hyunsik Choi
Database & Information Systems Group, Korea University

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
And, To Hamas.

How think about this idea?