Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Giampaolo Trapasso <gi...@radicalbit.io> on 2016/04/15 15:38:02 UTC

Problems with test DateTieredCompactionStrategyTest for 2.2.5 on RedHat machine

Hi to all,

I'm trying to do unit test on cassandra-2.2.5
(dd76858c7652541c7b137323f7b9e154686d6fba) and I cannot correctly run them.
Let me explain. While on my personal laptop (OSX) it's all ok, I'm having
some troubles on a RedHat box where I want to put my CI.

In particular, I have problems with the DateTieredCompactionStrategyTest. I
ran the test twice and, with surprise, the first run failed while the
immediate second succeeded. You can find the output of both test here
<https://gist.github.com/giampaolotrapasso/882f26cef098969cceb65d8143b4c60f#file-test-output-txt>
and the information about the distro is here
<https://gist.github.com/giampaolotrapasso/882f26cef098969cceb65d8143b4c60f#file-linux-distro-txt>

I kindly ask you if you could help me to solve this (for me) strange
situation. Any hint is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Giampaolo

Re: Problems with test DateTieredCompactionStrategyTest for 2.2.5 on RedHat machine

Posted by Joel Knighton <jo...@datastax.com>.
If this is the only problem you're experiencing, I don't think the problem
is on your end. DataStax runs a CI server at cassci.datastax.com, and a
quick look suggests that the same test occasionally fails there (
http://cassci.datastax.com/job/cassandra-3.0_testall/472/testReport/org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction/DateTieredCompactionStrategyTest/testFilterOldSSTables/
).

It is likely that this is a test timing issue exacerbated by your
particular set up. While you're more than welcome to open an issue for this
and try to fix it if it is of particular concern for you, I wouldn't let it
be a blocker to otherwise unrelated work.

In the future, for these sort of problems (a test is failing and you don't
know if it is related to your development, etc), you might get a lower
latency reply on #cassandra-dev on Freenode.

Best,
Joel

--

<http://www.datastax.com/>

Joel Knighton
Cassandra Developer | joel.knighton@datastax.com

<https://www.linkedin.com/company/datastax>
<https://www.facebook.com/datastax> <https://twitter.com/datastax>
<https://plus.google.com/+Datastax/about>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/datastax> <https://github.com/datastax/>

<http://cassandrasummit.org/Email_Signature>

Re: Problems with test DateTieredCompactionStrategyTest for 2.2.5 on RedHat machine

Posted by Giampaolo Trapasso <gi...@radicalbit.io>.