Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Aaron Kimball <ak...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/04 20:39:15 UTC

San Francisco Hadoop meetup

Hello Hadoop fans,

The Bay Area Hadoop User Group meetups are a long hike for those of us who
come from San Francisco. I'd like to gauge interest in SF-centric Hadoop
gatherings.

In contrast to the presentation-based format of the usual HUG meetings, I'm
interested in holding events that are more discussion-based: an environment
facilitating people who are working on similar problems to share tips for
handling common scenarios and identify common goals for development. Of
course, if you have a relevant presentation that would benefit the group as
a whole, such offers are gladly accepted.

All industries welcome. If you'd like to come, I'd encourage you to think of
a two minute summary about what you're working on with Hadoop, areas you're
interested in learning more about, and/or challenges that you're facing that
might be addressed by a larger Hadoop community. We can build the discussion
from there, and may break into smaller groups. All are welcome (developers,
users, or managers; experienced or newbies). Though I'd like to hold this in
San Francisco, folks from outside the city are of course welcome too.

If you're interested in joining us, please fill out the following:
* I've created a short survey to help understand days / times that would
work for the most people:  http://bit.ly/ajK26U
* Please also join the meetup group at http://meetup.com/hadoopsf -- We'll
use this to plan the event, RSVP information, etc.

I'm looking forward to meeting more of you!
- Aaron Kimball