Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Hendriks <he...@canada.com> on 2002/03/23 01:08:52 UTC

Re: Debian Woody / Tomcat / Example JSPs *** Error: "beans" is either a misplaced package name or a non-existent entity

I've got the same problem on my Debian install, version 3.3a-2 (is that the
version that installs with Woody??? I don't think so).

It occurs for every JSP that uses the <jsp:useBean ... /> tag.  I was in the
process of moving some applications from another tomcat server (configured
in january) to this new one but I've had to abandon that temporarily until I
figure out what's causing this problem.

It's not rt.jar, because the error occurs for both JDK 1.1 (classes.zip) and
JDK 1.3 (rt.jar).  It's not Tomcat's servlet.jar because "java.beans.Beans"
is not found there.  I don't think it's the classpath or a permissions
problem, because every other aspect of Tomcat and the examples (and my
applications) work.

The error is so weird.  "An expression name is expected in this context."
More than likely somebody's messed up the JSP compile engine, the part that
recognizes the useBean tag.  I'm going to take bits of the old machine and
stick them on the new machine until it works.  I'll post my findings.

Jason