Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net> on 2005/06/29 02:04:43 UTC

CSVGenerator, how to contribute?

Hi,

A few weeks back I wrote a CSVGenerator component.  It's nothing more
than a SAX wrapper around Stephen Ostermiller's CSV library
(http://ostermiller.org/utils/CSV.html).

Would Cocoon include a component that can't actually be used OotB, i.e.
w/o getting additional dependencies from elsewhere?  The Ostermiller
utils are GPLed, so we can't include the jar (in any case that jar
contains a whole lot of extra stuff — see http://ostermiller.org/utils/
— and so for my own purposes I repackaged just the CSV stuff into my
own jar.

I'd like for the community to have this, but as I've said I don't know
about the dependency bundling policy.  The other issue is that there
really isn't a good place for it... I would have to make a CSV block,
with samples... ugh, I don't have time for that right now! :-)

Should I just toss it into the scratchpad?  Or post it to the wiki as
an attachment?

—ml—

Re: CSVGenerator, how to contribute?

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net>.
On 2005-06-29 00:13:49 -0700, Ugo Cei <u....@pronetics.it> said:

> you could request to create a new project on cocoondev.org.
>
> 	Ugo

Thanks Ugo... I'd thought of cocoondev.org but figured it would't be
worth a "project" for something so trivial :-)

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@pronetics.it>.
Il giorno 29/giu/05, alle 08:52, Bertrand Delacretaz ha scritto:

> Le 29 juin 05, à 02:04, Mark Lundquist a écrit :
>
>> ...Would Cocoon include a component that can't actually be used OotB,
>> i.e. w/o getting additional dependencies from elsewhere?  The
>> Ostermiller utils are GPLed, so we can't include the jar (in any case
>> that jar contains a whole lot of extra stuff — see
>> http://ostermiller.org/utils/ — and so for my own purposes I
>> repackaged just the CSV stuff into my own jar...
>
> If it's a small thing (I assume your generate is a single source
> file), the easiest thing might be to just post it on the wiki as you
> suggest, with instructions about how to activate it.
>
> -Bertrand

Or you could request to create a new project on cocoondev.org.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei
Tech Blog: http://agylen.com/

Re: CSVGenerator, how to contribute?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net>.
On 2005-06-29 00:52:07 -0700, Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> said:

> There is _already_ a CSV generator in the scratchpad:

Well... rats!  Wish I'd known about it before!

> And it doesn't depend on any library.

:-)

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 29 Jun 2005, at 01:04, Mark Lundquist wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few weeks back I wrote a CSVGenerator component.  It's nothing
> more than a SAX wrapper around Stephen Ostermiller's CSV library
> (http://ostermiller.org/utils/CSV.html).
>
> Would Cocoon include a component that can't actually be used OotB,
> i.e. w/o getting additional dependencies from elsewhere?  The
> Ostermiller utils are GPLed, so we can't include the jar (in any
> case that jar contains a whole lot of extra stuff — see http://
> ostermiller.org/utils/ — and so for my own purposes I repackaged
> just the CSV stuff into my own jar.
>
> I'd like for the community to have this, but as I've said I don't
> know about the dependency bundling policy.  The other issue is that
> there really isn't a good place for it... I would have to make a
> CSV block, with samples... ugh, I don't have time for that right
> now! :-)
>
> Should I just toss it into the scratchpad?  Or post it to the wiki
> as an attachment?

There is _already_ a CSV generator in the scratchpad:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/cocoon/blocks/scratchpad/trunk/java/
org/apache/cocoon/generation/CSVGenerator.java?rev=179100&view=markup

And it doesn't depend on any library.

     Pier