Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Hofmann <mo...@hotmail.com> on 2005/07/27 18:22:30 UTC

Version Control

My company looking at setting up some kind of versioning control software.
Currently we have about 10 programs. We use Perl or C depending on the
project.

I understand just enough to be dangerous with CVS. Which is the current
suggestion to use. However before we make use of it I want ask opinions.

Most of our code goes on Apache Servers running on Redhat, however we use
Window XP machine for development.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

David

Re: Version Control

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
David Hofmann wrote:

> My company looking at setting up some kind of versioning control
> software. Currently we have about 10 programs. We use Perl or C
> depending on the project.

Having used PerForce(PERL's system), CVS(FreeBSD/Redhat),
SVN(Apache-ASF,mod_perl) I'm saying SVN is the clear winner in my opinion.
1.  Diff emails easily set up.
2.  ACLS easily implemented.
3.  Directory versioning and renaming.

--
END
               Nothing is impossible.

     http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
        http://www.liquidation.com
        http://www.uksurplus.com
        http://www.govliquidation.com
        http://www.gowholesale.com

Re: Version Control

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <jv...@mastersofbranding.com>.
I really like Subversion

but i'm not too crazy about it without trac.

i don't use trac for ticketing though - i use it for viewing changesets
and versions of files -- its absolutely amazing at that

Re: Version Control

Posted by Mike Whitaker <mi...@altrion.org>.
On 27 Jul 2005, at 17:22, David Hofmann wrote:

> My company looking at setting up some kind of versioning control
> software. Currently we have about 10 programs. We use Perl or C
> depending on the project.
>
> I understand just enough to be dangerous with CVS. Which is the
> current suggestion to use. However before we make use of it I want
> ask opinions.

We're using Vesta (http://www.vestasys.org/). The learning curve for
some aspects of it can be a bit offputting, but it's proving itself
for what we want to do.

Re: Version Control

Posted by Ken Simpson <ks...@ghpbjymdczr.mailchannels.com>.
Set yourself up with Subversion. It's easy to configure especially if
you are running Apache 2 already and there is an excellent client for
Windows (TortoiseSVN). If you're gung ho, you could even set up trac
for issue tracking. It integrates really well with SVN and is a good
solution for small to mid sized teams.

Regards,
Ken

David Hofmann [27/07/05 12:22 -0400]:

> My company looking at setting up some kind of versioning control software.
> Currently we have about 10 programs. We use Perl or C depending on the
> project.
>
> I understand just enough to be dangerous with CVS. Which is the current
> suggestion to use. However before we make use of it I want ask opinions.
>
> Most of our code goes on Apache Servers running on Redhat, however we use
> Window XP machine for development.
>
> Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
>
> David

MailChannels: Assured Messaging
--
Curious about my strange email address? Read more at
http://www.mailchannels.com/domainaliasing.html

Keep up with the latest insights in email security, phishing, and spam
by reading the MailChannels blog at http://mailchannels.blogspot.com

--
http://www.mailchannels.com
MailChannels Corporation

1-888-314-8904 x701

RE: Version Control

Posted by David Christensen <dp...@holgerdanske.com>.
David Hofmann wrote:
> My company looking at setting up some kind of versioning control software.
> I understand just enough to be dangerous with CVS.

I was going to say, "watch out for subversion's license" (free only for free
projects with public access; otherwise a paid commercial license is required),
but it looks like they've changed it:

    http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/LicenseDetails?licenseID=9

    http://www.opensource.org/licenses/apachepl.php

I've been using CVS for personal and (mostly) solo consulting projects for
several years now, and it gets the job done.  I especially like the simplicity
of RCS repository files (so I can commit the cardinal sin of hacking them ;-).
I do all my work on the trunk, and use tags for releases.  I don't have the need
to support older versions; the support solution is "upgrade to the latest".

I prefer Cygwin for Windoze clients, primarily because of Bash.  I maintain my
own Cygwin install snapshot and upgrade machines only when absolutely necessary.

Another advantage of CVS is that it's simple enough that you can read one book
and you'll know enough:

    http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

There's lots of software out there that facilitates and/or integrates with CVS.
Because CVS is simple, you can even write your own:

    http://www.holgerdanske.com/dpchrist/software/index.html

        dvs -- integrates CVS projects with Unix users and groups to
            provide primitive (and insecure) isolation of projects and
            developers.

        cvsenv -- launches a Bash shell with environment variables for
            connectivity to a CVS project.

        cvsdist -- tags and tarballs a CVS project for distribution.

But, if you want to use a branch/merge development process, I implemented one
for a client using the commercial version control product they were already
using (MKS Source Integrity):

    http://www.mks.com/

To me, the main advantage of MKS SI over CVS (and RCS) was that MKS SI
implemented version control on sets of files ("project"), and provided tools for
easily diff'ing, branching, and merging them.

HTH,

David

Re: Version Control

Posted by Praveen Ray <pr...@yahoo.com>.
Depends on your team size and your development process.
subversion is pretty good. However, it doesn't do merging
of branches as neatly as I'd like it to. But if you dont
branch too often, it's excellent.

--- David Hofmann <mo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My company looking at setting up some kind of versioning
> control software.
> Currently we have about 10 programs. We use Perl or C
> depending on the
> project.
>
> I understand just enough to be dangerous with CVS. Which
> is the current
> suggestion to use. However before we make use of it I
> want ask opinions.
>
> Most of our code goes on Apache Servers running on
> Redhat, however we use
> Window XP machine for development.
>
> Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
>
> David

> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download
> today - it's FREE!

  - Praveen

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs