Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ravi Chandran <ra...@analytica-india.com> on 2011/06/02 10:43:33 UTC

[users@httpd] publishing a content across two network

hi all,
I have recently downloaded apache http server 2.2, I had published some
content for a project and its working also. Now my requirement is that this
published content should be available across two networks. So for start, I
want to make this content available on a LAN and WIFI network. How can I
configure it? My LAN IP as 192.168.1.XXX and WIFI IP is 10.XX.XX.XX.  Do I
have to set the virtualhost settings?

--
Thanks & Regards
Ravi

Re: [users@httpd] publishing a content across two network

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 06/02/2011 01:00 PM, Ravi Chandran wrote:
> K, first of all I don't understand the meaning of "Top Post". Can you
> specify in layman's term?

It means post your replies either at the bottom of the previous message,
or in-line, below the section you are replying to.
Also, please attribute your responses, as this makes it easier for
people to correlate the messages.

> second, the focus of this question is only for one Apache
> installation, as the other one is working fine, so we don't even need
> to bother about it..

Then why did you mention it ?

> thirdly, "Same thing" means, seeing the content published on the other
> system from my browser....  and apache is working perfectly, as I am
> able to see the content on my system... no errors shown anywhere...

What "other system" ? A client computer with a browser ? Another server ?

> fourthly, timeout issue is because the content is not reachable, that
> is what i wanted to know why its not reachable, only for one system.

And we should guess ?
What does the error log say. 2x.

> fifthly, "directional" was in logical sense. content of system 1
> accessible on system 2, but not vice versa. agreed that systems are
> purely unrelated to each other. But how will you explain me getting
> the data from other system and they not able to do so?

I'm not going to try.
You may have network issues, or access controls in place, or firewall
rules, or broken software.

Too many possible reasons - you need to narrow them down.

--
J.

Re: [users@httpd] publishing a content across two network

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.
On 06/02/2011 12:35 PM, Ravi Chandran wrote:
> hi,

Please don't top-post.

> thanks for replying. Actually we have two systems one on WIFI and one
> on LAN, both are running apache web server.

Okay, so we are talking about TWO completely separate apache installations ?
That wasn't entirely clear before.

> I am able to access the content published on the other system using
> browser.

Okay.

> but the same thing is not happening at the other system.

What "same thing" ? Apache is not working correctly at the second system
? What does the error log say ?

> I mean on that system, the content is not coming, its giving timeout.

Ah, then you most likely have a network problem.

> So I am confused as to why one directional traffic is there?

"Directional" ? HTTP is a TCP protocol, there is always two-directional
traffic.

> If I am able to see the content on that system, they should also be
> able to see my content, right?

No, wrong.

Why would they ? the systems are entirely unrelated.

> We have the same setup and configuration info other than the domain
> and server name..

Investigate the network, and read the apache error logs for obvious
network-related problems.

--
J.

Re: [users@httpd] publishing a content across two network

Posted by Ravi Chandran <ra...@analytica-india.com>.
hi,
thanks for replying. Actually we have two systems one on WIFI and one on
LAN, both are running apache web server. I am able to access the content
published on the other system using browser. but the same thing is not
happening at the other system. I mean on that system, the content is not
coming, its giving timeout. So I am confused as to why one directional
traffic is there? If I am able to see the content on that system, they
should also be able to see my content, right? We have the same setup and

Posted by Jeroen Geilman <je...@adaptr.nl>.